cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Will speed improve...? (brightspark1)

brightspark1
Grafter

Just tried a speed check...and got 13.18mps download speed and upload 0.35...tried another server and got 4.77mps upload speed and 0.37 upload speed. And yet I cannot actually see any difference, it still seems fast to me...interesting that on the poorer server the upload speed slightly improved...
11 REPLIES 11
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Will speed improve...?

Which modem/router are you using and are you using wireless or ethernet connection to your PC?
brightspark1
Grafter

Re: Will speed improve...?

Quote from: Anotherone
Which modem/router are you using and are you using wireless or ethernet connection to your PC?

My router was supplied and is a technicolor one using a wireless connection but has an ethernet connection to the main PC...
Otherwise I think my PC repair man said if I moved the router I'd need a dongle? And it works without a connection on my laptop and if I need to use it on the other PC I think he said I need a LAN cable? But as I am trying to save on energy because of the circumstances I mentioned earlier I only have this PC switched on and the others are just spares in case this one fails...
Just done the test again...not going to become obssessed with speed but the server was based in London and gave me a raeding of Download Speed 13.23mps Upload 0.37mps and Ping 45ms
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Will speed improve...? (bightspark1)

Posts split off and title changed
brightspark1
Grafter

I think it's an excellent article about speeds on the forum and what can affect things, I'm really happy  Smiley I even received an unexpected e-mail today telling me that when I joined Plusnet you estimated my line as being able to handle 15mps but this minute it's 21mps.
When I do a test using the tester on the Plusnet but as I say I'm not going to become obssessed constantly testing my line and the service it comes up in kbs as the guide which makes it a bit harder to compare and there is a statement suggesting the tester isn't working quite as it should anyhow...but the two readings I got today for comparison was 43.8kbs and 44.3kbs.
I hate being without my main desktop computer and having to watch the pennies regarding the energy costs wondering if I can run it(but it had to have it's hard drive wiped clean and the operating system reinstalled)there's always an unexpected expense I can do without. I'd just had to replace a dvd burner approx a week earlier...
Anotherone
Champion

Re: Re: Will speed improve...? (brightspark1)

I'd check the PSU isn't giving over-volts.
brightspark1
Grafter

Quote from: Anotherone
I'd check the PSU isn't giving over-volts.

Not sure what that is Huh
pierre_pierre
Grafter

ask a bright spark
brightspark1
Grafter

Quote from: pierre_pierre
ask a bright spark

Grin I know...anyhow we're back in business and it's great to be back!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

PSU = Power Supply Unit or as google says  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_supply_unit_%28computer%29
A power supply unit (PSU) converts mains AC to low-voltage regulated DC power for the internal components of the computer. Modern personal computers universally use a switched-mode power supply. Some power supplies have a manual selector for input voltage, while others automatically adapt to the supply voltage.
Most modern desktop personal computer power supplies conform to the ATX form factor. ATX power supplies are turned on and off by a signal from the motherboard. They also provide a signal to the motherboard to indicate when the DC power lines are correct so that the computer is able to boot up. While an ATX power supply is connected to the mains supply it provides a 5 V stand-by (5VSB) line so that the standby functions on the computer and certain peripherals are powered. The most recent ATX PSU standard is version 2.31 of mid-2008.
brightspark1
Grafter

Aha, it all becomes clear now, thanks Wink
Anotherone
Champion

If the PSU output voltages go too high, it can cause things to start failing.