cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Uncap Upstream Please? - Mook off topic posts

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can I ask why when I asked to have my upstream uncapped I was told it would cost me 5 pounds per month!
8 REPLIES 8
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Re: Uncap Upstream Please?

Mook,
Based on the comment you made here -
Quote from: Mook
I'd love FTTC myself but here in 'sticksville' it is a long time in coming.

I would guess that you are on an exchange which does not offer a 21CN WBC service.  If I am correct, then the only way to obtain an US "uncap" (it is not actually an uncap) is to add "annex M" Max Premium to a 20CN service.  PlusNet only offer this on business lines and from reading around your other posts I see that you are indeed on a business service.
That would match what you were advised.
Note that annex M trades off some DS speed for more US speed.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Townman.
I am indeed on a 20CN exchange, but I am NOT no a business service, I have two dual ADSL on residential lines.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: Townman
I would guess that you are on an exchange which does not offer a 21CN WBC service.  If I am correct, then the only way to obtain an US "uncap" (it is not actually an uncap) is to add "annex M" to a 20CN service.  PlusNet only offer this on business lines and from reading around your other posts I see that you are indeed on a business service.
That would match what you were advised.
Note that annex M trades off some DS speed for more US speed.
Kevin

I'm afraid that post is wrong on several counts.
Annex M is only available on ADSL 2 lines i.e. 21CN only (I'm not sure about ADSL1 on 21CN but I think it very unlikely).
On 20CN the option for faster upload is Max Premium. That costs an extra £7.83 per month.
Edit: Annex M's full name is "ITU G.992.5 Annex M" so it's ADSL2+ only.
Edit 2: Reading further there's also ADSL2 Annex M, so I was right the first time - and it's definitely not available for ADSL 1 on 20CN or 21CN.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Jelv,
Thank you for the kind and gracious manner in which you've corrected my confusion in terminology & standards.  I have accordingly edited the original post less it mis-leads anyone.
Somewhere in the past I have got the annexes confused in my mind!
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Max Premium is available for residential lines (I've been on it for a long time).
The comment you've deleted about Annex M reducing downstream speed was correct (for Annex M). Max Premium does not affect downstream speed.
@Mook With bonded dual ADSL1 lines, does that increase the upload speed for a single stream or is each upload limited to the maximum upload speed of one line?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Jelv,
In attempting to give a simple answer to Mook's question we have between us hijacked the OP's thread.

@Mods,
Is it worth splitting out Mook's discussion into a new thread?
Kevin

Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: jelv
@Mook With bonded dual ADSL1 lines, does that increase the upload speed for a single stream or is each upload limited to the maximum upload speed of one line?

The simple answer here is no. In order get an increase the router needs to be under load with more than one connection in order for it to actually balance. When using multiple sockets (streams) such as P2P it will down/up load at the max bonded capacity.
If you look at the URL listed in my signature you will see this. The TBB is the best one for comparison as it shows a single (custom) downstream test and a 6xHTTP test as well.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Topic split off from the original thread and title changed