cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Surprised and disappointed with Plus Net

stonesfan

I'm afraid my plusnet is also proving to slower and slower as the months accumulate. The last 6 months especially, have seen a notable decline in speed. I have tried:
2 different routers
Have plugged them both into the 'master' socket, of which eliminates anything from my internal network.
Done line checks with BT.
Its easy to simply blame your ISP, but.......
1) For the last few days have been getting 450k download speeds. This comparible with my first ADSL account in 2001, a 512k account with BT.
2) In general I'm getting about  1.3Mb, which is actually worse than when I had a 2Mb plusnet account from 2005-2007. Average then was 1.9mb.
3) About a year ago I was able to download at speeds of up to 6.5mb. Peformance in general was excellent. Average speed was about 3.5mb.

Am contemplating switching to another ISP. However, I would say that plusnet overall has been reliable. Even if its become frustratingly slow, it rarely ever 'goes down'.  Their technical support seem enthusiastic and knowledgable. And from a personal viewpoint, its nice to deal with someone who is based in this country. I will be making my decision in the next few months.
We are rapidly moving towards an era where the likes of video streaming will become the norm. And I'm afraid currently, my ISP is not giving me the speed capable of enjoying this.

6 REPLIES 6
Mand
Grafter

stonesfan, can you post your router stats please?
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

@stonesfan
Could you please start your own thread on the Broadband speed board and post the results of a BT speedtest. I'm sure with some further data such as stats & etc, several of us will be able to help solve your problems (not a good idea to continue this hear, it would be hijacking Ubi's thread and this would be frowned on.)
stonesfan

Att: Mand. My router Stats

As requested by Mand, presume this is what you want:

As for speed testing, earlier on was a truly horrible 450k. Has now shot up to 3.3mb, although it is 0115am!
Anotherone
Champion

Re: Re: Surprised and disappointed with Plus Net

Wanted the bt speedtest results to see what your profile was, as much as the throughput!
stonesfan

As requested:
Almost 6 times faster than yesterday! But still nowhere near the 6.5mb I was getting about a year ago.
Anotherone
Champion

Re: Re: Surprised and disappointed with Plus Net

Hi there,
The profile from the BT speed test is consistent with your current sync speed, which is sadly 32kbps short of a 5M profile, although the throughput speed is not that clever.
However your sync/connection speed is poor for the other stats for your line, so there is a fault or a wiring issue. This not caused by anything to do with PN's network.
Could you advise on the following -
Can you hear/have you heard any crackling or other intermittent noise on the line? Dial a 1 to get rid of the dial tone. If you need more time before the NUT (number unobtainable tone) dial the quiet line test 17070 option 2. (Don't use any ringback or other test). Who is your Telephone Line Rental provider?
Login to https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed and advise what it says for your current profile/line speed.
1) Do you have an NTE5 Master LineBox (the type with the removeable lower front plate) and which logo it has on it.?
2) Whether you have any fixed extension wiring and sockets & how many, and roughly how the cables go from one to another;
3) What filters do you have and where is the Modem/Router plugged in?
4) Do you have a corded phone, do you have a cordless phone - if so what type - DECT or Analogue?
5) Is any other POTS (plain old telephone service) equipment (Faxes, Answer phones, Sky boxes or Alarms systems etc) plugged in/connected.
One final tip: When you need to swap things around for testing, powerdown your modem/router and wait several minutes before unplugging anything that disconnects it from the line eg. it's cable, the filter, master faceplate etc. Don't do this more than 5 times in an hour, and then leave it alone for the rest of the day. This is to help prevent the exchange DLM from thinking you have an intermittent line problem.