Re: Sudden download speed drop

FIXED
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 157

@vaper,

Yup that looks like a 'full' counter.  That's quite an old router - would you know what version of firmware it has?

PPP - that's the logical connection between your router and Plusnet.

I think you need to power cycle this router.  If there is an option to manually drop the PPP session (internet connection) in the router, please use that before powering the router off.  Leave it off for 15 minutes, then restart it and immediately grab the stats and post here.  That will do two things (a) clear all of the counters and (b) post a point of reference (time and stats) here for future comparison.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

vaper
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Thanks townman, I'm wading through the user manual to see whether I can "drop the PPP session" on the router itself.

I came across a "disconnect" button on the Gateway site - would that do the same thing?

If I hit that button, will I still be able to easily get back on the internet again afterwards? I'd hate to be completely off air.

While I'm powered off, I'll also go over all the physical cable interconnections again to ensure good contacts from the router to the BT socket. Just in case I missed something.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Fix

Yes, that's the right option.  Note with some TG routers, if you manually drop PPP, after you have power-cycled the router, you sometimes need to manually RECONENCT the PPP session in the same way you dropped it. 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

vaper
Grafter

OK. Thanks townman - YOU'VE FIXED IT !

Carried out the power reset as you suggested. Re-checked all connections during power-off et voila!

Ookla speed test now measures 4.97/0.77 Mbps and data throughput back to ca. 600kB/s (using Networx graph)

In case they may be of some use, for future reference my DSL stata after the reset are as follows

-----------------

DSL Connection

Link Information @ 14:24

Uptime: 0 days, 0:03:38
DSL Type: G.992.3 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 983 / 5,856
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 13.0 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 26.5 / 45.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 7.5 / 3.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 5,629
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0

-----------------------

DSL Connection

Link Information @ 14:26

Uptime: 0 days, 0:05:53
DSL Type: G.992.3 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 983 / 5,856
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 13.0 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 26.5 / 45.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 7.5 / 3.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 8,978
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0

----------------------------

Ookla test results: 4.97 Mbps / 0.77 Mbps

----------------------------

Much appreciated townman.

How do you register a "Tank you" on this site?

EDIT

OK. Got the thanks thingy now.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Keep an eye on the DS SNRM and the FEC count.  There's a fair few there for 2 minutes.

vaper
Grafter

OK I'll watch the numbers for a while but not sure what, if anything I can do about them.

I don't understand why there is such a large difference in the line attenuation in the different directions. Is this sort of difference normal?

Thanks again for all your help.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

The figures: what you can (or cannot do) will depend on what they show.  They will point towards what more needs to be done to deliver the optimal experience.

US & DS attenuation figures: well that's in the realm of complex technicality.  I will try to put it in simple terms; attenuation is measured across the transmission frequencies in use.  The DS uses lower frequencies and less of them.  The US uses higher frequencies and more of them.  ADSL2/2+ uses more frequencies than ADSL which is why it can be faster.

Higher frequency signals attenuate more than lower frequency signals.  Consequently US has a higher attenuation than DS.  ADSL2/2+ on a given line has a higher attenuation than ADSL.

HTH?