Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Persistent Dropped Connections.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Re: Persistent Dropped Connections.

Quote from: Chris
It was reported as a phone engineer........
as stated by Matthew Wink
Quote from: lenny
he plugged what looked like a big hand set in ( blue in color) and did a quiet line test ,then plugged a small oblong shaped box in with an lcd screen and said that everything was ticked ok and nothing was flagged  red and that was it, made a phone call on his mobile outside ,
He explained that he could do no changes to pairs or anything else to try and eliminate the fault so if i had to report a fault again i could tell the next engineer what had been changed  and hope fully that pointed to something else, he told me to report again but ask for an engineer how could rectify the fault not just test and then he left , if he was here a  quarter of an hour that was pushing it

Well it's clear to me that he didn't do any exhaustive testing then, I trust you did not go on about your broadband issue and just went on about intermittent noise on the line disrupting phone calls?
lenny
Grafter

I told him about the intermittent noise on the line and  how it  was heard  on the line doing a silent line test  but not every time , I mentioned that I had been making a phone call when the line started to crackle then went dead for a split second which coincided with the internet dropping connection  I mentioned that there had been noise on the line the morning he came and that I had no internet even though all lights lit on the router,
When the engineer comes this time I will not mention about internet just stress that the noise is intermittent and needs to be sorted
Anotherone
Champion

That's the way to do it, because clearly that lazy good for nothing "engineer" did not want to go investigating any potentially faulty joints, clearly he couldn't even be bothered to go to the Cab and even runs some tests from there and remake the joints there just as a pre-caution.
If the next one that calls happens to ask if it's affecting your broadband, just say "now and again but that is a secondary effect, I'm more concerned about my phone calls right now."
lenny
Grafter

Hi
I have had a message saying you have tested my line and all seams ok, how will this test see if the intermittent noise has gone , I replied to the message but for some reason I can not get back in to it to add further comments ( I pressed the send before I had finished , using a small tablet and big fingers)
I would still like an engineer to visit and get to the bottom of the noise problem
Could you please post me a radius graph and stats of the last 7 days please
Thanks
Chris
Anotherone
Champion

Lenny, if you use the links in my sig (login needed obviously), you should be able to get back to it.
As for your other points, a member of the CRT will have to respond.
lenny
Grafter

Hi
Thanks , I tried that and it says you have no open questions ,but when I click to show closed it only shows one from a few months ago
Anotherone
Champion

You can specify a date range (there should be a drop-down menu) and should be able to go back 12 months. Please try that, just to make sure it works, if nothing else.
If you have to start another one if the one relating to this really has been closed, to continue this saga, refer to the ticket number of the closed one.
And do let us know what you found.
lenny
Grafter

Could some one reopen question104974144 please I must have closed by accident on this bloody crap mind of its own tablet.
@ Anotherone
Thanks for your reply I found it in the closed section and all working ok
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Lenny,
Closed tickets cannot be reopened - not sure if this is a technical limitation with PlusNet's ticketing system or is simply a practice which (if allowed) screws the management stats.
I know when I worked on call desks / support services for a major UK IT company, we were not allowed to reopen issues because it caused the average fix times to "go through the roof" as the problem duration was taken to be from first open to last closed date with no accounting for any in between "thought to be closed" time.  Frankly in my company's case the restriction was solely for stats massaging and of zero help to the client who had to go through the whole process of opening a new fault report - just like you are going to have to do - referencing the old issue reference.  Technically reopening a closed ticket was easy - indeed if we accidently closed a ticket, we simply reopened it.  No idea if it is the same for PlusNet's system.
Grim, but that is what happens when we allow bean counters to run engineering processes.  It is not just PlusNet who work like this, even the big IT systems boys do this too.  Yes it IS stupid... it might also explain why I only rose to be a seriously good software engineer and not a top level manager, but someone has to keep the faith.  Engineers make things happen, not bean counters.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

lenny
Grafter

Thanks Town man, I will now wait till I return home and reopen a fault again,
Could someone from plusnet please post a radius graph and stats please for the last 14 days
Many thanks
Chris