cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re OR to trial 18/2 Mbs service for "slow"ADSL lines

dvvrue95
Grafter

Re OR to trial 18/2 Mbs service for "slow"ADSL lines

Hi any idea if PN are likely to be involved in this trial?

I would be interested since my cabinet is FTTC enabled but I am too far away to benefit and my average ADSL speed hovers around the 2M mark on a good day. Smiley

I enquired about satellite BB but the pricing structure is incredible for domestic unlimited streaming. Cheesy

cheers 

11 REPLIES 11
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: Re OR to trial 18/2 Mbs service for "slow"ADSL lines

At the moment we don't have any info on it I'm afraid.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
dvvrue95
Grafter

Hi Matt,

can you let me know if anything develops with this option.

ta

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

jordanc1230
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

What speeds are you quoted as being able to get on fttc from your cabinet? this trial is aimed at those on some of slowest ADSL lines that have FTTC aviliable in their area and is mainly being used to tempt them on to a cheaper fibre package to compensate for the fact they can't get a decent adsl speed. The trial won't improve the FTTC speed you have already been quoted and some will get much lower than the 18 Mbps speed. If the FTTC speed is 1 or 2 Mbps higher than your adsl speed you may beneift still assuming the price is the same or near to what you currently pay for adsl.

jordanc1230
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@Gel from what ive read BT wholesale won't be taking part in the trial which would rule you out as they are the sole provider for your exchange due to being market 1. It will only apply to the likes of LLU lines from what is being said which I think rules out plusnet and BT retail

Gel
Aspiring Champion

Thanks for that; disappointing. BenB at PN has promised to look at my appalling current stats, but no progress at all since last Wednesday. Good speed for me on router stats is 2.5mbps.

dvvrue95
Grafter

Hi Folks,

It looks like I completely misunderstood the reference to "for slow ADSL lines".

Just to clarify my copper line is too far away from the FTTC enabled cabinet, so no one will quote me for fibre.

I had assumed (dangerous I know when discussing internet access) from the mention of slow ADSL speeds this option was aimed at those of us with long copper lines, not so I guess.

We have TalkTalk available on the serving exchange but I think you need more than one LLU supplier not to be classified as Market 1.

Ah well I will have to reach for pen and paper and write to my MP Cheesy 

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@jordanc1230 wrote:

@Gel from what ive read BT wholesale won't be taking part in the trial which would rule you out as they are the sole provider for your exchange due to being market 1. It will only apply to the likes of LLU lines from what is being said which I think rules out plusnet and BT retail

This is also my understanding, however there's nothing to say the situation won't change in future.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Gel
Aspiring Champion

Thanks; in our part of Berkshire Gigaclear will be an alternative supplier, but at a hefty premium for their fibre offer.

Gel
Aspiring Champion

Glad to report my router speed is encouragingly good (for my location), but have had multiple disconnections in last few days. Am hoping DLM doesn't cut in and drag me to 1.6mbps.

Unsure if PN or Openreach have been doing things to my line due to impending ADSL 2 switch.

DSL uptime: 0 days, 00:21:31
6. Data rate: 448 / 2688
7. Maximum data rate: 1000 / 2784
8. Noise margin: 18.0 / 7.0
9. Line attenuation: 31.5 / 60.9
10. Signal attenuation: 31.5 / 59.9

QUERY:

Is 21CN same as ADSL2?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Form a non- technical perspective, they are the same, in so much as you need to be on CN21 to get ADSL2/2+

ADSL/ADSL2/ADSL2+ is the modulation standard - any of these can be deliver over the CN21 network.  CN20 only delivers ADSL.

looking at the attenuation on your line, I doubt that ADSL2 is going to deliver any much at all in speed improvement.  It might though be more stable.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.