cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Lower sync than expected

Mav
Fixes: 515

Sorry oldjim, modified my post before I saw your reply. I assume DMT would be better if SN can be changed explicitly. Currently it's 3, no 4... ooops now 1, back to 4  Cheesy
What shall I set it too once I've got DMT tools working?
According to Thinkbroadband] I need v 8.05 which I couldn't find here but I did find 8.07 which does appear to work but I am stumped at this point. Any further help on using DMT would be greatly appreciated Smiley
BTW I often resort to Anotherone's useful guide to using Routerstats here. Would it be worth making this a sticky somewhere for others who may need it?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Download this zip file and extract into a folder
Clicking on the exe file will give you this when you click on the blank header to the right of CLI then just use the slider
You may need to enable debug mode - this does it http://192.168.0.1/setup.cgi?todo=debug but the ini includes that - note that this is with the default admin password - if you use a different one you can edit the ini file
Mav

Thanks oldjim
That's basically what I had done (setting the Special logon, too) Smiley
But nothing seems to happen apart from getting the Ready status at the bottom of the DMT window.
I've checked all settings and can't see anything different from what your screen capture shows. Any ideas as to what I am doing wrong?
Thanmks.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Oldjim
Resting Legend

Are you sure it is a v4
My v4 has V5.01.14 firmware and came with 5.01.01 when new
Mav

Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed
This is so embarrassing...
I made the assumption that the version is based on the firmware (V4.01.40). Looking underneath it's V3. oooops!
Now, how does that affect things regarding my connection. Would I be better off sourcing a V4 Netgear? This one was bought a couple of years ago from eBay.
I have now chaged the routerStats Telnet to v3 and it's working well.
CRC: 51705
FEC: 100917532

Oldjim
Resting Legend

v3 is (I think) an AR7 chipset which is non tweakable and isn't too good on long lines
Mav

The DG834G seems better at holding the conection than either the Thompson v7 or v8.
Doesn't seem much more I can do. If it holds at the current sync of 5376 then my profile should rise to 4500 in a day or so Smiley

puddy
Grafter

Some people will shot me down for this but
I fitted a BT-i plate to the BT master socket* and I get very few if any CRC FEC or HEC errors
Dont for get to cut the orange wire at all BT boxes
Puddy
*= will only fit BT master socket with the line a cross the middle of it splits in 2
Mav

I'm pleasantly surprised - both BT and PN profiles have risen to 4500 already Smiley

WWWombat
Grafter

That new graph looks to have one spike coloured green, and one coloured red. Can you change the timebase of the graph so we can see a distinct sloped-V rather than vertical lines?
I solved a problem with my parent's DSL (lots of disconnections each evening), with a similar attenuation level of 47dB, by:
- Putting the router in the master socket
- replacing the plug-in filter with an ADSL-nation faceplate filter on the master
- removing the orange ring-wire from the extension wiring
- removing the excess "master" components from the extension socket.
- forcing ADSL instead of ADSL2+
They too are using a DG834G v3 - which we found better than a Thomson 585 (but can't remember the V for that).
Those changes gave them an improvement of 3-4dB on the line, and considerable improvement in stability.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
Mav

A quick update:
About 1 or 2 am yesterday morning the router resynced to around 4900 then at about 05:50 to 4800. I did a manual resync at 13:41 yesterday and got 5184.
I also started RouterStats at the same time with a change of colour as suggested by WWWombat but in over 26 hours there have been no dips in sync at all.
The SN changes frequently between 4 5 and 6 with the odd dip to 2 or 0 and the occasional spike to 12.
With everything so close to Xmas I haven't got the ADSL-nation faceplate filter - are they expensive?
I don't think the ring-wire is connected but I'll double-check next week (it's not in an easily accessable place and have orders from SWMBO not to touch things now)
My exchange is not ADSL2 enabled.

Oldjim
Resting Legend

Mav

Thanks oldjim.
Been wondering, though. If you can buy these sort of faceplate adapters why don't router manufacturers add a quality filter with a telephone pass-through in the router. Surely that would save adding extra parts or even the unsightlyness of the filters just dangling there.

Mav

A couple of days ago I started a new thread low sync but, on reflection, probably should have kept it to this one. Can they be combined or the other just locked? Cheers.
Today I received the faceplate as suggested by oldjim above. Armed with the info from this thread I moved the DECT phone as far away from the router as possible, checked the wiring where I could at the master socket (no bell wire connected anyway) and added the faceplate.
I did note that it must be completetly old wiring as the colour-coding is different: two wires (one orange and the other white) were connected then there was a green and a black wire which were not connected. No other wires to be found.
I rebooted the router without the telephone cable attached and got a sync of 4576 then the same again with the telphone cable attached.
The before and after stats are attached.
Since 2nd I have been on a BT and PN profile of 3000.
This evening I noticed that the PN profile has lifted to 4000 but throughput is still as if it's a 3000 profile. A BT speedtest shows that the BT profile is still 3000.
According to the router's stats there hasn't been a disconnection for over 5 hours so how can the PN profile have lifted before the BT profile has?
Any help appreciated as I'm still far off the 5568 I got two months ago.

WWWombat
Grafter

Probably the first thing to do now is to get RouterStats out again, and watch the SNRM and Sync values.
These will help show whether you've got the line stable, or if you are still suffering disconnections... and help choose what to do when we know the answer to that.
Still disconnections => Probably a re-test in the test socket, followed by getting BT engineers out.
No Disconnections => Get your target SNRM dropped from 9 to 6 (presumably by going into the 10-day training again), which will buy somewhere between 500kbps and 800kbps on the 4576 you are now getting.
Jojo will want to be really sure there are no disconnections happening before asking for the teraining period, as they can't fiddle with anything once it has started.
BTW - the colour coding you describe sound like BT's external line colours, rather than the internal cable used to wire secondaries.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.