Re: Glossary suggestions

do you really want to know, it might upset the Mods Roll_eyes Cool
ChemicalBrother
Grafter

Just for Bob Milton  Wink
From Wikipedia
[quote="Wikipedia"]
A sticky post or sticky topic is a type of entry in an online forum (a.k.a. bulletin board) that is 'pinned' near the top of the forum index, enhancing it's visibility and preventing it from being buried by newer posts. Sticky posts serve a purpose similar to a Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) entry. (Though upon hearing the term, many may think of the Post-it_note products from 3M.)
Sticky posts, (or simply stickies), contain information a discussion group administrator or moderator believes to be of critical or ongoing value to users of the forum. There may be just one or several such 'stickies' at the top of any one forum section.
Some may also use the term sticky post to refer to a Blog entry that remains static while others around it change

Bob_Milton
Grafter

Thanks Roger,
I am a bit confused because I didn't know if your entry had anything to do with the fact that Andrew's link just led to being linked to a roundabout, you found yourself coming back to the same link time and again.
Originally in the PUG topic Andrew indicated that he would initiate a topic in the community which he would monitor.
At the moment it seems to be somewhere wrong.
It's funny really because the original topic in PUG was concerned with accessibility.
Andrew_B
Grafter

[quote="Bob Milton"]Originally in the PUG topic Andrew indicated that he would initiate a topic in the community which he would monitor.
Thats this very thread, if you want to make suggestions for new inclusions then please do so here.
If you want to discuss the glossary or provide other feedback, then you can do so in the other thread
chillypenguin
Grafter

Re: Re: Glossary suggestions [Split from]

mod:note
Off topic posts split from the "Glossary suggestions " thread.
artificer
Grafter

Re: Glossary suggestions [Split]

and then re-write it for us non-technical beings for whom that clear explanation is gibberish.
does it help to add that the bel is a unit of sound, perceived as loudness by the human ear.  raising the power by 1 does not double the loudness, but multiplies it by a factor of (whatever it is).
a sound engineer once tried explaining decibels to me and it went straight through my head without touching the sides.
perhaps an hyperlink to the layman explanation?
CP:green Split form Glossary suggestions  mod:end
Bob_Milton
Grafter

artificer,
When you mention sound measurement, the deciBel is indeed used.
It is still a logarithmic expression of a power ratio. In this case that of a sound power ratio.
James
Grafter

Bob,
Can you please explain what you mean by a logarithmic expression?
It all sounds like mathobabble to me.
zubel
Community Veteran

To be honest, I couldn't care less what the scientific or mathematical usage of a decibel was (even though I do actually know) when talking about broadband.  All I need to know is expected values and the relevance of particular values wen talking about SNR and attenuation.
Similarly, I don't need to know the specific physics of how electrons pass through a copper wire to be able to use my kettle.  If it's not working, I'll check that it's plugged in, turned on, and fused correctly which pretty much covers the troubleshooting steps required.
I also don't need to know anything about the general theory of relativity, or the absolute value of 'g' (which incidentally is 9.80665 m/s²)  to enable me to stand upon the Earth's surface safely and live out my daily life.
However, *if* I was interested in it, I'd be more than happy to go and research it.
Giving a long winded answer to what a decibel is is fairly pointless in terms of the Plusnet glossary.  Something more useful would be a description of what values are expected and what information you can glean from them.
Anyhow, back on topic please - suggestions for the Glossary
B.
Andrew_B
Grafter

Thanks for the input so far everyone, just to set your minds at rest (:)) I am monitoring this thread and have taken note of the suggestions made.  I'll look to make the first update next week.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderators Note.
This thread is for suggestions for new entries only all other posts will be removed.
Wink
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Barry has hit the nail on the head! I`m not sure how many decibels the sound was, but his last line sums it up
Back on topic..... Suggestions for the Glossary....  Smiley
@ Strat  I concur wholeheartedly.  Wink (Include this one please mods)  Cheesy
chillypenguin
Grafter

Re: Re: Glossary suggestions [Split]

Mod:note
As per my note in the "Glossary suggestions" thread, all posts not containing suggestions for entries into the glossary will be removed.
Jonathan
aka Chilly