Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: FTTC just installed - Speed dropped after installation

Dev
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

My IP was 37 for the first couple weeks with downloads up to 34mbs, the IP has now been at 21 for the past 2 months and downloads around 16-18 mbs which is no better than the previous ADSL 2+. I am seriously thinking of moving to Virgin after 9 years with PN.
jim:green posts split off and title chnged mod:end
14 REPLIES 14
matt_2k34
Grafter

Re: FTTC just installed

@Dev
You'd be better off starting a thread of your own (or if a mod sees this - split the above posting off this topic - thanks Wink )
if you do a quick ping to ntp.plus.net
im expecting your pings to be 35~65ms ..
Seems when FTTC connections drop speed - they dont pick up particularly well !
In this new thread, you might want to detail any changes which have occured - etc... Smiley
I've had one rock steady line (37 throughput since install) and one wibbly wobbly... Just have to hope that when it wibbles and wobbles - you can find someone who can help!
Regards
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI Dev,
Sadly, with FTTC lifting the profile doesn't work in the same way as ADSL2+ does. From what you have said though we should really look at getting your speed back up to what it was. The only way, at the present time, to get it upped is an engineer visit. I've just had a word with one of the FTTC faults guys and he said if you raise a fault describing what's happened we'll arrange for an engineer to come and reset your profile.
Jojo Smiley
Dev
Rising Star

Many thanks JoJo and Matt, I've raised a fault.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Posts split off to their own thread and moved out of trials
Dev
Rising Star

Had a BT engineer around on Monday, he replaced the BT modem which was losing synch. He said the line was perfect and I should be getting the full 37mbs however my profile is now down to 15.
matt_2k34
Grafter

I will say that the profile "increase" on my line took for bloody ever.
3Days is no more it seems, try more 10-15  Shocked
Provided the connection stays up and active it should sort its knickers out ASAP id expect.
And touch wood - the new modem will work as desired Smiley
Dev
Rising Star

Thanks Matt. Seems like BT is now applying banded profile in increments of 5, so if its 10 days for a boost it might take months for a full increase. I am almost missing ADSL 2+ where PN could bump up the profile or it resets in 3 days.  I think most Virgin customers on 50Mb get close to full speeds, doesn't seem to be the case for BT's FTTC.
matt_2k34
Grafter

When "problem free" you should get over 30meg constantly (apart from shaping in the evening obviously)
im getting 37 *constant* on acc #1 still, and about 34~35 on acc #2 (i still think theres an underlying problem.. but ill just have to raise said fault quicker next time!)
Sounds more to me like BT want the DLM to do what it should do... "better" the problem is when the fault/problem is fixed - it takes much longer to start behaving again (but it doesnt crap out your line to 135K!)
Basically getting left with ADSL speeds and a pants ping is better than Dial up Smiley
Virgin customers will get closer to the advertised speed-just because of how their network is "laid out" its also worth noting that their service is Heavily over subscribed in many places (ask Asbo_Dog!  Wink )
Think of it as BT's VP running hot, all day, every day = the "service" people get from Virgin... having said that ive got several friends who use VM and are very happy with their 50mb service... swings and roundabouts eh? Smiley
doesn't seem to be the case for BT's FTTC

DOCSIS 3 is a very different kettle of fish than BTs VDSL2 implementation.
In the UK broadband provider Virgin Media has announced on 20 April 2011 to start trials with download speeds of 1.5 Gbit/s and upload of 150 Mbit/s based on DOCSIS3.0

BT's VDSL2 system is only capable of 40mbit due to their system, BT claim it can do "up to 200mbit" with 15mbit up IIRC. As you can see VMs tech is *way* outpacing what BT's implementation is.
Regards
Dev
Rising Star

My profile was reset at 37 this morning and connection is stable so far. I will do a speedtest after 12am when traffic shaping is off to determine download speeds.
Dev
Rising Star

PN stable rate has IP as 37, while BT reports as 17

======================================
BT speedtest
Download speed achieved during the test was - 15741 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 12000-17066 Kbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is -17066 Kbps
matt_2k34
Grafter

The PN rate is 37 regardless of what happens (its just set that PN side, then it relies on BT to put the profile properly set)
BTs profile being set at 17 meg is why your seeing crappy speeds, hopefully that will settle in a few days (try not to fiddle/disconnect/reboot the modem)
If its still not uplifted i'd raise a fault.
Regards
Dev
Rising Star

BT IP still stuck at 17 , the engineer said my line should support up to 37. Hope it goes up eventually.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Download speed achieved during the test was - 16047 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 12000-17066 Kbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is -17066 Kbps
Jezzerash
Dabbler

Quote from: Matt_2k34
doesn't seem to be the case for BT's FTTC

DOCSIS 3 is a very different kettle of fish than BTs VDSL2 implementation.
In the UK broadband provider Virgin Media has announced on 20 April 2011 to start trials with download speeds of 1.5 Gbit/s and upload of 150 Mbit/s based on DOCSIS3.0

BT's VDSL2 system is only capable of 40mbit due to their system, BT claim it can do "up to 200mbit" with 15mbit up IIRC. As you can see VMs tech is *way* outpacing what BT's implementation is.
Regards

I can only get BT as cable wasn't laid on my side of the street all those years ago..... Cry
The BT FTTC is capable of much more, there are people who have had a sync of 80mbps briefly until BT have capped it very quickly after install.  The product they are selling at the moment is 40Mbps but there is more... however FTTP will supercede FTTC in due course so we may never see an 80Mbps FTTC product.  Found this on the BTW website in a working document for ISPs.
Jez
lexusuk
Grafter

@ Dev
I'm sure that your speeds will return to normal providing your line remains stable.  As previously mentioned this can take some time (10 to 15 days).  Your current session time is One Day, 13 minutes (on going).  Your line speed estimate is 32.1Mbps so this is where we expect your connection to level out.