cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rather confused about contradictory speed tests........

kiasu
Grafter

Rather confused about contradictory speed tests........

Ran the BT Speedtest which came back with:
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    IP profile for your line is - 5000 kbps
    DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)  6048 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 856 kbps

Then ran the Plusnet speedtest which came back with:

PlusNet Speed Test
Your current speed is: 1016.70kbps

The obvious questions are:
1) From my point of view, what figure is relevant?
2) Why such a discrepancy?
3) Why would the plusnet test suddenly drop to 1016.70kbps from my average of 4500kbps

Am I misunderstanding something about these figures? Does Plusnet prefer users to use the BT speedtest as for some reason it generally shows a higher figure. I.E. The speed from the exchange rather than the actual download speed from Plusnet?
Rather baffled as I am no IT wizard but clearly something looks weird here.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Kiasu

6 REPLIES 6
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Rather confused about contradictory speed tests........

The BT speed test shows an actual speed of 856kbps whereas the PN one was 1016kbps - so the PN one is higher.  The BT and PN tests do measure speed over different segments but that shouldn't be relevant here.
As far as why your actual throughput is so low compared with the profile - assuming nothing else was using your connection (it isn't an unsecured wireless connection by any chance?) exchange contention is the next suggestion.  Does the PUG checker show the exchange as congested?
Also have you exceeded your monthly allowance?
With regard to speedtests I assume the PN figure you mentioned was from the tester on the portal; this tester is regarded as unreliable and will be replaced by the one at mybroadbandspeed soon.  This is currently under beta test.  What values do you get from that?
David
kiasu
Grafter

Many thanks spraxyt,
What is the explanation difference between 6048 kbps(DOWN-STREAM) and actual speed of 856kbps  in this case. (Other than the obvious speed difference)?
I can confirm that my wireless connection is secure. Checked the PUG which appears all ok and the mybroadbandspeed comes up as 978kbps.
I think I have exceeded my monthly allowance but in the past, it has not made such a drastic difference and this only appearred to affect music downloads etc and not the speedtests or general web use.
I will try the speedtest again tomorrow to see if there is a major change, if not, will try and see what Plusnet say about it by raising an official query.
Many thanks

Kiasu
kiasu
Grafter

Hi PJ,
Just checked and I am on PlusNet Broadband Premier Option 2  £29.99(monthly)

Regards
Kiasu
kiasu
Grafter

Hi again,
Actually, I have just looked and noticed that my account is no longer an option for new users and for the same amount of money it appears that I could transfer to BroadBand Your Way - option 4 which would give me a larger download allowance per month.
If this is the case and I have not made an error (the option to view comparative details between the two services is currently 'temporarily unavailable'), surely Plusnet should be morally obliged to advise me of this.
Surely no one is going to refuse an upgraded service for the same money?

Kiasu
dougrice
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Sorry to barge in again.
My MaxDSL performance dived. I tried to sort ot the house wiring. This web page may be of interest.
http://www.dougrice.plus.com/Erlangs/adsl.htm
James
Grafter

Hi there,
Bit of an odd one this.  For some reason, you were being profiled at our end at 8000Kbps.  I've changed this to map BTs profiling of 5000Kbps.  I'd suggest that you reboot your router for these changes to take affect and see if you notice any changes in speed.
Other than that, I can't see anything that would cause your slower speeds, so try a reboot and let me know how you get on.