cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rapidly decreasing sync speeds - and speed test problem

KevinH

Rapidly decreasing sync speeds - and speed test problem

Long-ish story...
Until recently (beginning of August) I was on Plusnet Value, and I was getting downstream sync speeds of about 4500.
Then I switched to Plusnet extra. To start with, I was then getting around 4000.
On Sunday, after several days away, things seemed a bit slow, so I checked and I was only syncing at about 2000.
The middle of this week, things suddenly got worse, and now I'm only syncing at 570.
I dug out an old router and plugged it into the main socket - same result.
I've tried setting the router to "ADSL", "ADSL2+" and "Auto-detect" - they all work and all give exactly the same speed.
I've started working through the Plusnet fault checker, and I've got as far as the BT speed tester, but I can't get it to work. It starts the test, but then just hangs with the message "Exception::Connection refused".
Anyone got any idea how to fix this?
3 REPLIES 3
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Rapidly decreasing sync speeds - and speed test problem

jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi KevinH,
Hmmm, You were on ADSL while on value. When you changed to extra the account was regraded to ADSL2+
That, at least, is clear. So, what do we do about it?
After looking at some of your connection history it seems you had a good connection on ADSL and after checking your current data it now seems that it's got that bad it's actually been banded to 0.5meg.
You said your router had a setting for ADSL2+ so I can't see it being a compatibility issue and even if it were it'd take a while for the banding to lift.
All that said, my advice would probably be to revert to ADSL,. If you would like me to do that then just give me a shout.
Jojo Smiley
KevinH

Quote from: Oldjim
try this link http://217.32.105.42:50301/

Thanks, Jim - that worked perfectly. It gave me a download speed of only 150kbps. I'll try it again first thing in the morning, when things should be nice and quiet.
Kevin