cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Range of wireless router

woolymutt

Range of wireless router

when i opted for Plusnet i was told the router would have a range of at least 60 feet when used wireless. once set up mine would not connect at a distance of less than 15 feet (router upstairs pc downstairs),
my bt phone line connection is upstairs and my pc downstairs.bt want over 100 pounds to move their phone line so i bought a cable plugged in upstairs trailed it all the way down the stairs into the front room  just to get my Plusnet router close enough to my pc to connect.
although it will now connect wireless the router is only two feet from the pc seems a bit pointless to me!!.i have now used the ethernet cable provided to make sure the connection is good.
my wife uses her pc upstairs less than 15 feet from the router (which is now downstairs in my front room remember?) but it will not always connect wireless.
anyone else had this problem any advice would be appreciated
thanks
8 REPLIES 8
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Range of wireless router

You could use homeplugs for example.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
woolymutt

what are they this stuff is all goble de guke to me
woolymutt

the problem is that why should i have to spend yet more money to get my Plusnet kit to work as i was told it was going to in the first place?
frank39
Grafter

I have used Thomson 585 and 582n routers and I get full performance at about 40 foot wireless range through stud walls, about 30 foot through block walls and over 20 feet vertically.  Over these ranges the speed starts to fall.  You do need to select the right wireless channel to avoid interference and loss of range.  I run Inssider and notice that the neighbouring routers all seem to be grouped around channels 1 and 11, the default setting for many routers.  Not all devices will look for a quiet channel when set up to 'auto'.  You could try manually selecting channel 6 or 13 on the router and seeing if that improves things.  Alternatively Google for Inssider, run it and find a quiet bit of the spectrum.
woolymutt

Thanks frank39
the problem is i have manually selected evry channel on my router and none of them improve it
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

inSSIDer can be found here http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/download/
A good Android app can be found here https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
AlaricAdair
Champion
Fixes: 1

The effective range of a wireless router depends on a few factors, but the two main influences are barriers to transmission (such as walls, floors etc) and interference (other routers etc). If you have no barriers or interference 60 feet is easily achievable. If you have a thick masonry wall between your router and your PC your chances of good reception are greatly lessened. If your neighbours have powerful WiFi routers closely positioned to your accommodation it will lessen your reception. A poor antenna on your PC can also reduce effectiveness of WiFi.
Have you had wireless (WiFi) working well before with other router equipment and your PC?
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

.......so i bought a cable plugged in upstairs trailed it all the way down the stairs into the front room .........

Unless this was a twisted pair screened cable similar to this your connection is likely to suffer from interference pickup and possible drops in sync to the exchange which can result in a slower connection. Other lengths of the Pro+ are available if you click on the "ADSL Cables" link on the LHS of the page.
You do not need BT to move your Master socket. If it an NTE5 master similar to the one on the left or right (the one on the LHS can have a BT logo on it instead of OpenReach) then you can add your own fixed extension sockets, but this does require the correct fixed wiring cable (CW1308) and a modicum of technical competence.
However, you really need to resolve your wireless problems along the lines already mentioned. (I trust your modem/router isn't sat on a metal desk!).