cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Range of wireless router

GoldfishFreckle

Range of wireless router

Hi,
Can anyone recommend a wireless router that gives a greater range than the Thompson TG585 v7  one that I have..?
We can use laptops only within a 6m range of the box, but ideally need one that covers up to 20m. Thanks!
6 REPLIES 6
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Range of wireless router

6m of clear sight seems very poor indeed.  But if you have positioned your router, say, between a metal filing cabinet and a metal radiator then you might find its range is severely restricted.  I'm told that modern metal-backed foam insultaion that might be in the exterior walls of your house is also very bad for wireless.   
Denzil
Grafter

It might also be worth trying a different wireless channel on the router. If you have several neighbours using the same channel, for example, it might be getting congested.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi GoldfishFreckle,
Have a look at our help pages for some tips on wireless. Also, something like inSSIDer can scan the wireless networks so you can find the least congested channel.
Jojo Smiley
tedsloan
Dabbler

You could also consider replacing the present antenna with one of higher gain. I see that AMAZON have one with a gain of 12DBi which should be quite useful. There are other sites too, if you do a GOOGLE search.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

6m is a very poor range if it is 'in line of sight' but it is quite reasonable if there are walls and other obsticles in the way (particularly if you have thick walls or metal reinforcement).
Most of the brand-named WiFi 'n' routers will give some improvement in wireless range, to some extent the more expensive the better they tend to be, the ones with multiple external antennae also tend to be better.  Generally placing the router high up (on a non-metalic shelf or screwing it to the wall) will improve range, if the antenna is removable it can easily be replaced as suggested by tedsloan, just make sure you buy one with the correct fitting (I have also purchased an antenna extension lead in the past that allows better placement of the antenna if you can't mount the router in the ideal spot - this was about 2m long and cost a couple of pounds from an ebay seller in Hong Kong.
Another option is to add a 'repeater' to your wireless network (sometimes called a 'range extender')
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
tedsloan
Dabbler

The following extender has just been announced by NETGEAR - here is the link.
http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/08/netgears-universal-wifi-range-extender-now-available-for-baldin/