cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random missing e-mails

fezziwig
Dabbler

Re: Random missing e-mails

A friend complained that I was ignoring her (as if I would).  I never got her e-mails...over a week ago and now one sent on 24 or 25 Aug.
From her e-mail today...

"i remember getting it as well... and i replied to it, so you still got a black hole somewhere in your email account. or else there is someone else out there getting your mail and wondering what the hell is going on?"
mikeb
Rising Star

Quote from: dave
When we've done this kind of blocking in the past it's been based on the entire subject line with the exception of the words "Megadik" and "Wundercum" which were wildcarded. The blocking would have been done because the subject exactly matches that of a particular virus. Changing the wording slightly would mean that it isn't blocked.

I do know that the last time I checked, subject filtered messages were in fact rejected correctly but the users complaining about mail going AWOL do not appear to be getting formal rejections do they ?  Is the problem that occurred last Wednesday when some mail was simply being dumped still in fact present ?  My mail volume feels a bit light although it is a short week of course and I must say that I'm not aware of any definitely missing since last Wednesday. I will try my usual test mails later and post again if I don't get the desired result otherwise it's safe to assume all looks well if there is no follow-up message Smiley
I know I keep on about PN possibly blackholing stuff after receipt but your comment elsewhere stated that any (first line) filtered mail is always formally rejected and never silently deleted - well apart from during last Wednesday of course. Only second line filtering can therefore result in blackholing and only then if the user selects this action themselves, otherwise it's presumably put in the good old spam folder if filtering is enabled. Surely, these users would either be receiving these *spam* tagged messages or bounces to wherever they sent the test emails from ? ... unless the user has the relevant mbox blackholed or set to delete *spam* automatically or the sender has something a bit screwy in the from: or return address: fields of course. Perhaps users who are losing mail should double check their settings and addresses etc. if they haven't already done so just to ensure that there are no 'surprises',  typos or anything that could possibly make the message 'appear' to be rather more spammy than would be reasonable ?
rbl's, invalid helo arguments etc. are *rejected* with a range of messages: 5xx for the stuff that's dropped and 4xx for the stuff that's rejected. Anything that's rejected with a 4xx will instruct the sending host to attempt delivery again later. Even the stuff we block on subject matter is rejected with a 501. The only mail we silently delete is the stuff that's marked as spam when the customer has selected the option in their mail settings to delete this at server level. We also delete black holed mailboxes etc. We can't reject this stuff because at that stage it's past the ACL.

B T Plusnet, a bit kinda like P T Barnum ...

... but quite often appears to feature more clowns Tongue
fxbronte
Grafter

Quote from: fxbronte
I have sent all the above in ( ID: 22691000 ) . Eventually I got a reply that the missing ones were in the spam folder. THEY ARE NOT.
At 10:49 this morning. The subject message was "28.8.07 1 of 5",  "28.8.07 2 of 5",  etc..
Only 3 and 2 arrived . Nothing in the Spam folder.

Mail no. 5 has just arrived to the Spam folder, nearly 12 hours later. 1 and 4 still missing,
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Could you let us have the headers for mail 5 please, that should shed some light on where the delays are being caused and hopefully track down the other mails.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
fxbronte
Grafter

here it is after amending our email addresses, if support needs the original, I can include it to my open question.
Envelope-to: xxxxxxx@xxxxxxx.plus.com
Delivery-date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 20:27:23 +0000
Received: by fhw-sunmxcore07.plus.net with spam-scanned (PlusNet MXCore v2.00) id 1IQ7el-0006OA-K4
    for xxxxxxx@xxxxxxx.plus.com; Tue, 28 Aug 2007 20:27:23 +0000
X-Daemon-Classification: SPAM
Received: from ptb-relay03.plus.net ([212.159.14.214])
    by fhw-sunmxcore07.plus.net with esmtp (PlusNet MXCore v2.00) id 1IQ7el-0006No-6K
    for xxxxxxx@xxxxxxx.plus.com; Tue, 28 Aug 2007 20:27:23 +0000
Received: from [00.000.000.0] (helo=xxxxxxx)
    by ptb-relay03.plus.net with smtp (Exim) id 1IPxin-00056U-7j
    for xxxxxxx@xxxxxxx.plus.com; Tue, 28 Aug 2007 10:50:53 +0100
To: "xxxxxxx - Home" <xxxxxxx@xxxxxxx.plus.com>
Subject: [-SPAM-] 28.8.07 5 of 5
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 10:50:53 +0100
Message-ID: <NHENLCILKLBKJFDMJLACEEJECLAA.yy@xxxxxxx.plus.com>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain;
    charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-Priority: 3 (Normal)
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook IMO, Build 9.0.2416 (9.0.2910.0)
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.3138
Importance: Normal
Disposition-Notification-To: "xxxxxxx" <yy@xxxxxxx.plus.com>
X-PN-Spam-Filtered: by PlusNet MXCore (v4.00)
X-DSPAM-Result: Spam
X-DSPAM-Processed: Tue Aug 28 21:27:23 2007
X-DSPAM-Confidence: 0.6670
X-DSPAM-Improbability: 1 in 201 chance of being ham
X-DSPAM-Probability: 1.0000
X-DSPAM-Factors: 15,
    From*"xxxxxxx", 0.99000,
    Disposition-Notification-To*<yy+xxxxxxx.plus.com>, 0.99000,
    Disposition-Notification-To*<yy, 0.99000,
    Received*[00.000.000.0], 0.99000,
    From*<yy, 0.99000,
    Disposition-Notification-To*"xxxxxxx"+<yy, 0.99000,
    Received*(helo=xxxxxxx), 0.99000,
    Disposition-Notification-To*"xxxxxxx", 0.99000,
    Received*[00.000.000.0]+(helo=xxxxxxx), 0.99000,
    Disposition-Notification-To*xxxxxxx.plus.com>, 0.99000,
    From*xxxxxxx.plus.com>, 0.99000,
    From*"xxxxxxx"+<yy, 0.99000,
    From*"xxxxxxx" <yy@xxxxxxx.plus.com>, 0.99000,
    Received*from+[00.000.000.0], 0.99000,
    Message-ID*xxxxxxx.plus.com>, 0.99000

mikeb
Rising Star

Hmmmm, just sent one of my usual test messages which pretty much guarantees a rejection based on subject: to the following addresses and also a CC: to two non-PN/F9 Addresses for test purposes:
test@My_PN_Account.plus.com
test@My_F9_Account.force9.co.uk
test@My_Second_PN_Account.plus.com
test@My_Second_F9_Account.force9.co.uk
The messages were sent using hotmail but out of the 4 PN/F9 addresses in the To: field, the message was only rejected by 3 of them (almost immediately) but needless to say wasn't delivered to any. Messages were delivered to the non-PN/F9 addresses immediately. The bounce only states that delivery failed and unlike a bounce received direct from relay when attempting to send via PN/F9 it does not say why. There is unfortunately no information as to which mx-core/mx-last rejected the message or indeed any other useful info at all really.
Two further attempts at sending the same message to the same destinations also via hotmail got bounces from all 4 PN/F9 addresses as would be expected.
However, two attempts at sending the same message to the same destinations using Another_ISP.co.uk A/C did not result in bounces from or deliveries to PN/F9 addresses but the messages were delivered to the non-PN/F9 CC: addresses immediately.  It is obviously possible that bounces will appear some time later but I don't think I will be holding my breath whilst waiting !
It's obviously difficult bordering on impossible to determine whether the intermittent/missing bounces are due to PN not rejecting messages correctly or the sending system not forwarding the bounce back to the sender but either way, the net result is that not all messages being filtered based on subject: appear to be receiving bounces Sad
This clearly demonstrates precisely why I seriously dislike any form of filtering that is not under my control. Problems can and will happen and yet no one is ever going to take any responsibility for them, they will simply point the finger at the other party !

B T Plusnet, a bit kinda like P T Barnum ...

... but quite often appears to feature more clowns Tongue
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Thanks, strangely that's been delayed on one of the relay servers by the looks of it. I've flagged it to the network guys to see if they can shed any light.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

To further Dave's comments. I have now raised an internal problem (45409) to investigate the cause of these delays, which appear to be occurring on the relay (outgoing) mail servers.
Initial suspicions are that this is the number of sockets to the mx.core delivery servers being max'd. This means the emails sit on the relay servers until they can successfully be passed to the mx.cores.
We'll post further details regarding the development of this one as we receive them.
@fxbronte, I've taken a quick look at your mailbox this morning and I think your test messages have arrived now. There's a few in the Spam folder.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

wuggywugrat
Grafter

Thanks for looking into this - I first became aware of the problem last Friday when I raised a ticket.  Had more delayed emails yesterday, and at least one more has gone awol again this morning.
My guess is that if it is one of the relay servers then it affects everyone and has been since last week? 
Surely a service status issue?
James
Grafter

I've just spoken to Bob and he will be posting a service status in the next hour or so.
It doesn't appear to be affecting a large group of people, but updates will be posted as and when information becomes available.  Thanks for your patience.
grimme
Grafter

Just to add that we also appear to be affected by the issue randomly, but I can't put my finger on any "actual" e-mails that haven't been delivered.
Read receipt requests have now been put onto the mailbox that seems to be most affected, so I should be able to identify which of those sent now that don't get through.
fxbronte
Grafter

The last of the 5 emails from yesterday arrived at 1:45 am, ie. 15 hours from initial posting.
At last plusnet has accepted that there is a problem. For the last three days all I have been getting, in effect, is that there was no problem. I have been told that it might be my Outlook settings, my PC, my antivirus, etc. etc.. All this from different individuals, all very polite, but obviously with no time to properly read the question and try to analyse the problem.
Let us hope that the glitch is found and fix asap.
wuggywugrat
Grafter

Just had a delay of 25 mins between picking up email on relay 5 and delivering it to the mxcores...
rgowerely

I'm getting some but not all my emails. I sent a couple to myself last night (inc. one non plus net account that arrives via plus net) and one this morning - nothing. I seem to be able to send them OK.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

A new problem has now been raised to track this one guys. We think it's an issue with the relays so the delays will only affect messages that have been sent via our outgoing mail servers.
The problem's on the portal here.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵