Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random missing e-mails

fxbronte
Grafter

Random missing e-mails

Hi
I wonder if anybody is having the same problem.
In the last half hour I have sent 4 test e mails to the same (Net+) address, 2 have arrived the other two have not.
Support have suggested that it is my anti virus, this is obviously nonsense, because half have been sent.
It is not Outlook either because the recipient is checking the Squirrel mail.
The reason for doing sending these test is because over the last two days, the recipient has complained of missing e-mails.
Any constructive suggestions will be very welcome.
33 REPLIES 33
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Random missing e-mails

Wait.
There have been reports of delayed email recently so see if they arrive in the morning.
Note: Just because they were sent within a small time frame does not mean they will all take the same route and thus arrive within the same time frame.
fxbronte
Grafter

Some of the emails have been missing for 2 days, hence the test emails.
sinewave
Grafter

Check your spam folder via webmail.
I believe plusnet's spam detector is just not right. I found loads of genuine emails in my spam folder recently. I didn't even realise plusnet was filtering my mail. Yes, some of those emails were important and work related. Not happy. I have set all spam detected emails to be delivered to me regardless and I sort them out myself. Frankly, this makes PN's spam filters pointless to me.
I bet ya your missing mails are sitting in that spam folder!
fxbronte
Grafter

I have checked. I am afraid they are not there, but thank you for your suggestion.
This morning I sent 10 test emails to another plusnet a/c, only 4 or 5 have arrived up to now.
fxbronte
Grafter

Again !!!
today out of 5 e mails only one got to the recipient.
I reported the fault 2 days ago ( ID: 22691000 ) but without any neaningful responses.
Does anybody know, if deleting the mailbox and creating it again, will help?
I am really getting frustrated about this.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Hi there,
I don't think deleting and recreating the mailbox is going to help to be honest. I've passed your ticket to our NEt Ops guys to see if they're able to check our relay logs based on the information you've provided.
Am I correct in assuming that you're using relay.plus.net to send your messages?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

fxbronte
Grafter

Hi Bob
Yes, I am using relay.plus.net
running
Dabbler

I have had a problem with a missing email, eventually I created an account at Guerrillamail.com and had it sent there. I tried sending it to myself and it just disappeared.
I raised a ticket only to be told it was my friends ISP. I said that I could not even send it to myself and after sending myself about 20 emails, with different parts of the message, I found if it contained
‘This is the worst virus announced by CNN, it has been classified by’
it would not be delivered.
So I told them this and they then implied it was spam. It was not in my spam folder.
I told them it was not in the spam folder and got this reply:
“We do not normally drop email but in the instance of a particularly pervasive virus email which did contain a string of text simular if not identicle to that you are quoting we took the decision to drop any emails matching exact content or subject lines on the feedback and request of customers.
This email was flooding our mail platform and having a servere impact on our customers' experience.
You will simply need to use a different sentence structure.”
This is not satisfactory as I don’t know what part of the message to tell my friends to re-structure, unless I spend a lot of time breaking down the message and finding out which part needs changing.
I had a similar problem in 2006, but this was bounced because of the subject line.
I think it would be only common courtesy for PlusNet to inform its members, by email, of what they are blocking.
wuggywugrat
Grafter

Yes there does appear to be something up.
Never received 2 emails that were sent to me last Friday.  Today sent 4 emails - 3 turned up - no 1 first, no 4 second, no 3 third and no sign of the second one at all.
No 1 was on mxcore 10, no. 4 on mxcore 10, 3 on mxcore 15 - can't say which mxcore no 2 was on.
There is clearly something up (again).
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Quote from: running
This is not satisfactory as I don’t know what part of the message to tell my friends to re-structure, unless I spend a lot of time breaking down the message and finding out which part needs changing.

When we've done this kind of blocking in the past it's been based on the entire subject line with the exception of the words "Megadik" and "Wundercum" which were wildcarded. The blocking would have been done because the subject exactly matches that of a particular virus. Changing the wording slightly would mean that it isn't blocked.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Quote from: wuggywugrat

There is clearly something up (again).

Hi,
Have you checked the spam folder in case they've been picked up as spam?
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
wuggywugrat
Grafter

Yes - nothing.
Still no sign of email no.2 sent an hour ago exactly...
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

What was the subject line/content of the test emails you sent a couple of hours ago? When you're testing this it would be helpful to include the information on your open ticket (I know there's already one example but the more we have to go on the easier it will be to check the logs).

• Sender's address
  • Recipient's address
  • Time sent
  • Error messages/Failed delivery notifications where appropriate

It would also help if you cc'd your test messages to a non-PlusNet account to make sure they turn up there.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

fxbronte
Grafter

I have sent all the above in ( ID: 22691000 ) . Eventually I got a reply that the missing ones were in the spam folder. THEY ARE NOT.
At 10:49 this morning. The subject message was "28.8.07 1 of 5",  "28.8.07 2 of 5",  etc..
Only 3 and 5 arrived . Nothing in the Spam folder.