Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random disconnects & I'm not sure if i've been upgraded to Plusnet Unlimited

jonnybennett
Grafter

Random disconnects & I'm not sure if i've been upgraded to Plusnet Unlimited

Hi everyone,
  I have 2 issues.
Firstly for the last few months I have noticed that my internet connection randomly disconnects. I'm not sure why this is but everytime it happens I find rebooting my router solves the problem. This occurs about 3 or 4 times a day (ish I think). I didn't really pay much attention to the problem before but lately it's got to a point where it's really starting to annoy me.
Everytime it disconnects I login to my router page and it shows that i've lost my internet connection. So i'm wondering whether it's a problem at the ISPs end, or possibly the hardware i'm using?. (My router is a Belkin Wireless N F5D8631-4).
Secondly, A little while back this month I upgraded my package to Plusnet Unlimited. Today is my next billing date but  from looking at the 'broadband usage page' it still shows that my paid-for allowance is 7GB. Can someone from Plusnet look at this for me as ideally I want to be assigned with the Plusnet Unlimited package. Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
scootie
Grafter

Re: Random disconnects & I'm not sure if i've been upgraded to Plusnet Unlimited

Everytime it disconnects I login to my router page and it shows that i've lost my internet connection. So i'm wondering whether it's a problem at the ISPs end

Are you losing sync with the exchange or just losing your conection with plusnet?
Today is my next billing date but  from looking at the 'broadband usage page' it still shows that my paid-for allowance is 7GB

As you posted just after midnight do you mean today as in the 20th. If thats the case it might take awhile to kick in and not sure if the change to unlimited is auto thoe it might still need some one to manualy do the product change and not be done till after 9am today.
Maybe adiewoo can clear this one up as i hear he's joined the clan now
I was cheecky and and hounded plusnet staff to change my account straight away and was running unlimited a couple of hours after its launch. i suspect they did it because they had the product refesh theard deal with and wanted me of there backs.
Nah i didnt hound them but the guy on the phone when i ordered was playing by the script. so i came here and asked blondie nicely
jonnybennett
Grafter

Re: Random disconnects & I'm not sure if i've been upgraded to Plusnet Unlimited

Good stuff,
  I hope this new Unlimited package is going to be good for me. Before this I was on the 4GB package (something like that) and I found it very frustrating as I always went over my limit, and then I added the maximum usage of 7GB and still went over the limit, hence most months I had to put up with slow speeds for atleast 2 weeks (not ideal).
Anyways, Hopefully this upgrade will solve my problem, well it should do 🙂
-------------------------------------------
The connection just seems to drop and I have to restart the router to get the connection back again. I'm not 100% sure of any other details at the present time because i'm at work. I just thought that maybe Plusnet could look at their end to see what may be going wrong?
cheers
scootie
Grafter

easy way to tell is looking at the lights of the router when this happens.
does both the dsl and internet lights go out /red or just the internet light?
James
Grafter

Hi Jon,
Firstly, you're definitely on unlimited.
Secondly, your router disconnecting is 99.9% not down to the connection from you to the ISP, but from your router to the exchange.  Common causes are:
- Faulty filtering
- Poor internal wiring (make sure you're connected to your master socket with all used telephony devices being filtered)
- Faulty router
It's definitely a good idea to check out your internal wiring and swapping over your filter as a starting measure.
scootie
Grafter

and the best tools for monitoring your line condtions are these dmt for looking at bit loading http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/DMTv7.htm get the right version for your router and routerstats for monitoring snr http://www.vwlowen.co.uk/internet/files.htm