cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random broadband questions

bartstope
Grafter

Random broadband questions

there are a few things about broadband i've always wondered about but never felt brave enough to ask and i'm just wondering if some clever people could help me sleep a bit easier tonight.
1) when you place an dsl order, what exactly is happening during the activation window? does a bt engineer actually have to do something in the exchange for each individual broadband activation?
2) i've recently decided to move to the adslmax product and i'm just wondering, the move from standard adsl to adsl - is it purely a software based change or does somebody have to do something in the exchange?
how much of the broadband process is manual, requiring humans to plug things in and so forth, and how much of it is done by a non-technical person simply clicking a few boxes in an application?
just curious as to how it all works and how much time and effort really goes into making broadband work. 
2 REPLIES 2
John_Essex
Grafter

Re: Random broadband questions

1) During the activation a BTengineer does indeed have to visit the telephone exchange and alter the wiring of your line so that it passes through the ADSL equipment (DSLAM)
There is also the setting up of your "Route" so that the system knows when your modem / router enters the username@plusdsl.net  etc it knows thatyou are to be connected to Plusnet at Sheffield.
That latter part is just a data base record as far as I know.
2) Upgrading to MAXDSL also requires the BT engineer to visit the exchange and connect your line to a different type of DSLAM equipment.
Hope that helps  Smiley
jazz
Grafter

Re: Random broadband questions

That completely borks my theory that tiny little men live inside the BT green boxes and randomly connect and disconnect wires Roll_eyes