Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random Packet Loss

Drewe
Dabbler

Random Packet Loss

Hello,

I've already made a thread about my packet loss before but it only helped for a while. Now, my random packet loss is back. Every 10-15 seconds or so I have 1 to 5 % packet loss drop for around 2 seconds, then it goes away. I don't really know why this happens so I'm asking for help.

I've tried,

Changing my iP Address

Moving the router

Using a wired connection (didn't really help) so I'm wireless

Watched the tutorial on Plusnet about how to improve your connection, ect+

And so far, nothing has helped.

(Not really sure if this helps but as you can see, there's packet loss spikes on Discord)

9Q9sif7o

7 REPLIES 7
MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Re: Random Packet Loss

Hi @Drewe 

Can I please ask if you are doing anything in particular when this happens, or is it constant? 

By "moving the router" do you mean that you are connected to your test socket or just the location of the box itself (insofar as the cables allow) ? 

Thanks, 

MoR

Drewe
Dabbler

Well every time I do anything really. Play games (which Is what I mostly do) , talk on Discord / Teamspeak (VoiP) and just browsing the internet in general. I checked my background tasks, and there's nothing downloading or anything.

And no, I'm connected to the master socket. The router was on the floor, behind a chair before, so I moved it to an open area. And no, the cables are normal, not being pulled or anything.

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi Drewe,

Thanks for coming back to us. I've double-checked your connection and everything looks fine from our side.

Could you get your router connected to a device via a wired connection and run a ping and tracert test to see where this is falling down?

If you could post the results of the tests when you've done them that would be great.

Info on how to do both can be found here

Best wishes

Dave

Drewe
Dabbler

Hi, currently still having packet loss while gaming, browsing, VoiP, ect+

But, here are my results from the tests

gQQDgrF1

vR41vk05

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Sorry to hear you're still having issues.

The screenshots you've attached show no issues with there being no packet loss shown and the ping times being excellent.

As per my colleagues response above can you confirm if you're connecting over a wired or wireless connection?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Drewe
Dabbler

Hi Matthew,

I'm wireless as there's no way to currently use an Ethernet cable as my router is located in a different room. I don't really know what's going on if I'm being honest. Maybe I just have a bad signal or something? since I'm still getting packet loss spikes quite frequently while gaming, browsing, ect+

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Thanks for the confirmation.

If it's not possible to use a wired connection then we'd recommend going through the steps here to try and improve the wireless signal.

Let us know how you get on

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team