Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random High Ping spikes - HELP!

reecicles
Grafter

Random High Ping spikes - HELP!

Hi,
I'm on unlimited broadband. I am a gamer so ping is very important to me.
I live far from the exchange. My original sync speed during the DLM was 0.5mb. During the DLM and the weeks after i was able to game fine. The DLM ended and my line rested at a sync speed of 1mb/s.  Fine. Gaming continued to be fine ping sitting at 17~ throughout the session.
In the last month or so i've been seeing unusual ping spikes. it sits at the usual 17~ ping and then shoots up to 2500 ping sometimes cannot resolve host and then back down to 17~ ping.
The funny thing is. People can watch videos fine on my internet whilst i am gaming (in SD). my ping just jumps to 50~. But the ping seems to jump when a member of my family is loading a page on facebook or something.
Remember that i didn't have this problem until a month ago. I have restarted my router today and will post any errors tommorow.
i would appreciate any help and input.
thanks
reece
13 REPLIES 13
reecicles
Grafter

Re: Random High Ping spikes - HELP!

Router stats
Uptime: 0 days, 7:11:49
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.3
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 443 / 1,035
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 4.06 / 45.01
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.6 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 37.5 / 63.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 10.5 / 3.9
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 109 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 120
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 56

thanks
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

What is your Plusnet Current Line Speed?
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Quote from: reecicles

The funny thing is. People can watch videos fine on my internet whilst i am gaming (in SD). my ping just jumps to 50~. But the ping seems to jump when a member of my family is loading a page on facebook or something.

Yes they will, especially with your low speed.
You could ask support if your upstream speed can be uncapped, if that can be done it may improve things a bit. But with your sync speed I think you'll always have latency problems when others are downloading.

reecicles
Grafter

So you think my up speed is capped?
For anyone interested. here is the line stats in the test socket.
Uptime: 0 days, 0:09:06
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.3
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 443 / 903
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 10.63 / 72.24
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.6 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 37.6 / 64.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 14.1 / 3.0
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 9 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 1 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 131 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 8
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 3
AndyH
Grafter

Do you know if you're due to get fibre in your area?
amcclean
Rising Star

I had a similar issue for 4 months.  In the end my lounge was rebuilt.  I had 6 OR visit s who refused to do assenting as the line was fine.  The rebuild eventually sorted it. Sadly it had to wait until the line would not sync before wholesale actually have OR the option to rebuild.  
I could watch TV but Web took ages to load.  Bt speed test showed normal download speeds but the pings were of the chart.
All the best in getting it fixed.  
reecicles
Grafter

Fibre is available but i'm waiting for capacity to be upped in my cabinet.
The house is a new build so i doubt it's an internal wiring problem.
thanks for your help guys
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Quote from: reecicles
So you think my up speed is capped?

Only the upstream part.
Also you appear to be have interleaving disabled. It will give faster ping times but I'm not convinced that gives lower real life latency on a slow connection such as yours. Have you experimented with interleaving turned on and off?

I'm not a gamer so what do I know Wink
ejs
Aspiring Hero

The first set of stats only had 120 CRC errors in 7 hours, that doesn't seem many to me. So there don't appear to be many errors for interleaving to correct, although interleaving might provide a little more bandwidth. But it could just be a silly problem of the plusnet current line speed ending up way too high set at 7.15.
reecicles
Grafter

My plusnet current line speed in the member centre below:
Estimated line speed:
0.5Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.) - Checked on 2014-02-07 18:36:19
Current line speed:
0.7 Mb
ejs
Aspiring Hero

It might be worth checking the game traffic is being correctly classified: https://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,94089.0.html
Even correctly prioritised, it may not be much help considering such a low speed, if more than one person uses it.
reecicles
Grafter

it's not just spiking when playing games though. If i sit with my cmd open pinging google endlessly i can see high ping spikes when web pages are loaded on any device in the household.
It will sit at ~17 ping and jump to 1500~ for a couple of lines and then back down to 17.
The problem is that this has just started happening in the last month or so. Before this month its been fine. My family were able to surf the web fine without me having to shout and curse at my cmd prompt.
The ping would stay stable. I've asked for interleaving to be put on and my upload speed to be uncapped but apparently that could take up to 2 weeks.
Just as an interesting side note i did the plusnet current line speed again and its gone up to 1.7mb... but i hvae never seen 1.7mb on this connection.
Estimated line speed:
0.5Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.) - Checked on 2014-02-07 18:36:19
Current line speed:
1.7 Mb
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi reecicles,
As per my update on Ticket: 81458874 it seems that FTTC is now available on your line. The modify order to uncap your upstream speed is due to complete tomorrow 01/04/2014.
The order to upgrade you to FTTC will therefore be placed in the next 24-48 hours and the installation date will be confirmed with you via email and text message (if applicable).
This will improve the speeds you're currently experiencing Smiley