Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random Disconnects for over a month now

udoh13
Dabbler

Random Disconnects for over a month now

Hi,
I have been getting random disconnects on my Net line since around the 5th December 2011 (that the first time I can claim to have really noticed it happening, it might have been going on before that).
I have been onto Plus.net support on a lot occasions, I have a new router from Plus.net (Thompson 585v8), and at the last call, support changed my SNR from 1.0 to 6, but it seems to change all the time.  I have had an BT Engineer out who changed the faceplate.
I have screen shots from different times during the problems, but I would love to know if anyone out there has any ideas.
The router often refuses to acknowledge that the internet has dropped and just says "connected", but no web pages etc will load.  The only way to fix this is to reset the router just to get the connection back.
I am currently paying a good monthly fee for a service that doesn't work properly, and it's really starting to annoy me, I have been very patient and am just really looking for solution.
Ideas anyone?
15 REPLIES 15
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Random Disconnects for over a month now

Have you specifically asked to be on ADSL2/2+? With your attenuation I suspect you might be better off if your service type was changed to ADSL1.
David
David
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

You have a long line with al# lot of attenuation so you are never going to get a very fast broadband speed (at least not until fibre comes your way).  What might be happening is that the noise level on your line is very variable; it should be 6 dB but was 3 dB at the time you made the screen shot.  This is a difficult problem to pin down to a specific cause.  Unless it's down to faulty equipment in the telephone exchange then you won't be better-off with another ISP unless you have the option of Virgin cable or use internet via the mobile phone network.  So you probably need to keep badgering Plusnet to send out BT Engineers until the problem get fixed.     
udoh13
Dabbler

Thanks for replies guys, this is the sort of things I needed, some other feedback, it's driving me nuts.
As far as I know, we used to be on ADSL and we were switched over to ADSL2/2+ in November, it's very possible the problems actually happened straight after that ( but we weren't on the net much during November as Skyrim was out).
We were due to have Fibre installed at the end or December but now it's the start of March.
Would asking plus.net to switch us back to ADSl for the next month and a bit be a good idea to try and solve this?
I am NOT really that bothered about the speed, it's more about the stability of the line that bothers me, can't play games etc.  Obviously speed would be nice, but on our line length (about 4.3km from exchange), I know it's never going to be fast.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi udoh13,
One of our faults team has been working on this. I can see they have updated your ticket with their results.
Jojo Smiley
udoh13
Dabbler

Hi,
Thanks JoJo, Chris from support called me earlier to discuss the problem, and the problem was going to be passed to OpenReach as there are a lot of errors on the line.
Smiley
udoh
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Ah good. Chris will look after you Smiley
udoh13
Dabbler

Hey JoJo,
I would like to think he would, but after another disconnect this morning, I called support and was passed to 2 people, who I had to explain the fault to again, and it seems the problem wasn't reported to OPenReach because a SNR reset was done on the line (again) to try and fix the problem.
With a problem that has been going on for this long, it would be nice if someone there "took charge" of it instead me feeling like I am being pushed from pillar to post all the time.
I have been paying for full internet now, and not been getting it.
The Random Disconnects are getting quite annoying now.
Regards
udoh13
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
I can see it's now been raised to BT, that should get it some movement - though I'm sorry for the delay in raising.
udoh13
Dabbler

Hi,
It turns out that an Enginner wasn't sent, but another SNR reset was done on the file, It might have been a question of too many people trying to deal with one problem, and the information getting "mixed up" and wires crossed, maybe for a problem that goes on after a few days, PLUS.NET should allocate a member of staff to deal with the customers problem at least a liaison to the customer.
The SNR reset seems like it was a success, we have had uninterrupted now for over 6 days, but this evening we had a disconnect.
I have attached 2 screen shots, I have found out that the community here knows what they are talking about and, if at all possible, It would be great if someone could just look over the Screen Shots and let me know if they "look right".
With tonight's disconnect, only the "Internet" disconnected but the DSL stayed connected, does anyone know what the difference between these is?
Thanks for your time everyone.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
The speed looks pretty good for the line stats and is over your line's estimated speed from what I can see, and a 6 day ongoing connection is good. I'd say things are working as well as they can be based on your screenshots.
Regarding the disconnection, I suspect there was a quick burst of noise that was enough to drop the PPP but not the sync hence what you're seeing in the logs. It's not a problem provided it isn't happening too often, your profile hasn't been reduced so it looks like all is good for now. Please do let us know if it gets worse though and we'll do some more investigating for you.
udoh13
Dabbler

Thanks for the reply Matt.
What about the error numbers do they look ok, I mean error numbers that high usually concern me in my line of work?
Cheers
udoh
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Over a 6 day connection I wouldn't say that's a massive amount of errors, especially with a margin of 60dB on the line. As long as they're not disrupting your use of the service I'd say you'll be alright Smiley
udoh13
Dabbler

I have updated my support ticket, as we have been getting at least 1 disconnect a day since the 6 days "uninterrupted", and this is an on going problem, and I feel that my paitence is being taken advantage of in this situation.
Currently not a happy customer. Sad
Regards
udoh
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

I'm sorry but ADSL is not a guaranteed always-on service, a single disconnection per day, providing you can reconnect straight away should not cause any major issues or have any knock-on effects such as on the speed of your connection for example.
As mentioned on the ticket its likely that you will experience drops in connection, however if they did reach a level where they became disruptive and caused DLM to lower the speed of your connection we would be able to look at the matter as a fault for you.
I feel that my paitence is being taken advantage of in this situation.

That's not how we want you to feel, we would advise any customer in the same situation the same thing.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team