cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rain casuing the internet to disconnect?

Azagoth
Grafter

Rain casuing the internet to disconnect?

I've reported this exact same fault a few times.  What happens is the DSL drops and then instantly reconnects.  It can then work fine for a random amount of time until it drops/reconnects again.
I'll say this again, this only happens when it's raining here. So that pretty much rules out it being anything on my end, besides the connection is fine and dandy when the weather is dry.
Oh, and each time it reconnects the downstream rate is slower.  Tonight I've gone from a very stable 10Mb down to a shoddy 6Mb.
10 REPLIES 10
Azagoth
Grafter

Re: Rain casuing the internet to disconnect?

Just [Censored] brilliant.  I go to set a download going while I'm out at work to find that my speed has dropped all the way down to
DSL Upstream Rate:   575 Kbps
DSL Downstream Rate: 3183 Kbps

So not only has my download speed dropped to around a fifth of normal speed, but my upload speed has dropped by half.  How the hell am I expected to download a 65GB file with that [Censored] speed?
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Quite a lot of disconnections over the last day or so. Is there any noise on the phone line at all when it's wet (if so report to your phone provider).
If the phone line is clear please report the fault to us, https://faults.plus.net
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Azagoth
Grafter

No, there's no noise on the line.  Have reported the fault.
I have to say this is ridiculous though, I can't even get the most basic of tasks done due to this. Hell, I can't even play games. 
ARealHighlander

You've already said it only happens when its raining, dont you think that points at a physical fault on the line, water in a joint somewhere? When that happens, the exchange sees lots of disconnections, dropped packets etc. So it tries to compensate by dropping the line speed, as you have seen.
Same thing used to happen to me in Winter during bad weather. Its your phone line provider you need to be complaining to, bleeping at tech support isn't going to sort it.
Azagoth
Grafter

It doesn't look like it's the rain causing this.  Today has been worse than anything, and it's been dry here today.    The DSL connection has been up and down more times than anything, in the past 20 minutes alone it's been constantly up, down, up, down, up, down.   It's infuriating as sometimes it stays connected for a decent amount of time and you think, "great I'll just get a quick bit of time on EVE Online in" and then as soon as you fire the game up sod's law takes over and it disconnects/reconnects. 

I also have to say that I find the lack of 24hr support on Plusnet shocking in this day and age.  
Azagoth
Grafter

Would someone be kind enough to post a RADIUS picture of my connection from the past few days so I can visualise just how bad this has been?  Because at this exact moment the internet is absolutely unusable, at this time the connection is up one minute and then down the next.  It's taken me at least five minutes to get this post posted.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

You can see the large amount of connections below:

The testing is showing:
Problem Explanation: [NF03] The Copper Line test has failed. MFL :- (LN)
Resolution/Recommendation: BTW cannot progress this fault as the root cause is the PSTN failure. Please report to your Copper Line Service Provider.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Azagoth
Grafter

So it's a fault on the line then?  It must be getting worse too, as earlier today there was noticeable crackling on the phone line.  Something that I have never had before.  Just gone through that damned awful BT automated system. 
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Had similar 2 years ago or so, the magic box that openreach tests the line from your cabinet to the exchange from your socket, can fail to see the line is in fact water logged.  The line from the cabinet too the exchange is suppose to be air tight so no moisture can get in, in my case it was water logged when ever it rained, it took a few visits for that to be caught and they finally moved me to a new line at the cabinet.
So maybe want to mention that when the engineer arrives, but push for a physical check not to trust that box they swear is 100% reliable
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
Azagoth
Grafter

Cheers, will do.  My phone line goes from my house to a pole, then down the pole and disappears underground and onto the green box.  So if it's rain that is causing this fault then my guess it would be around the base of the pole