cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RPWD Speed Problem

rpwd
Grafter

RPWD Speed Problem

the speed is tricky. very strange. although my profile said i have had a 8Mb/s broadband, the speedtest shows that it never reach 0.2M/s. I have to wait for 3 mins to open a simple webpage (e.g. bbc.co.uk)
cannot download at all, cannot see youtube at all, cannot .... Sad
the usage calculation is quite wired. I remembered one day I've not be in my home at all. Then I found there's a 300M usage. No way, I am living in a studio flat and there's no one else using my router.
The key problem is the speed thing, is there any other steps I need to set up in the thompson router to get it faster enough for surfing the internet? or all I need to do is to plug/unplug the power adapter every 10 mins? Pls help. Cheesy
47 REPLIES 47
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: RPWD Speed Problem

Are you connected by wire or wireless
Usage when not in use should be about 1MB per day so something is badly wrong there
Are you sure that somebody isn't piggy backing onto your connection
rpwd
Grafter

thank you very much for your quick reply.
I am using wired link to the gateway. I have the access to thompson gateway and can say there is no one connecting my router except myself.
I've get the newest test from plusnet usertool, the information is show below. obviously, the line speed is 1.4M which is significantly below the estimated speed (5Mb vary between 4.5M-8M), even less than 1/3 of the claimed line speed.
Estimated line speed:
    5Mb (This may vary between 4.5Mb and 8Mb) - Checked on 2012-03-02 22:19:12
Current line speed:
    1.4 Mb
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Current line speed is the problem.
Can you run the BT speedtest to see what the IP profile is http://speedtester.bt.com/ and also provide your router stats - noise margin, speeds and attenuation
By the way unplugging and replugging in the router every 10 minutes will have told the equipment at the exchange that the line is unstable and it will probably have increased the default noise margin to at least 15dB and possibly restricted the speed by banding the line as well
rpwd
Grafter

Thank you so much. I am not in home now. I will get the test result this afternoon and post it back here.
jim:quote
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi rpwd,
I've just ran some checks and can see that your line is banded. This is caused by problems on the line and will restrict the sync rate. I can lift the banding, but before I do I'd like to know what caused the issue first. Have you installed any new equipment on your phone line. Can you tell me if you're using any extension cables/sockets? Do you have a test socket you can plug into?
Jojo Smiley
rpwd
Grafter

a ??????????  Cheesy
banned??? why? I just bought a new laptop and sometime my android phone, my pad will also connected to the thompson gateway as well. Would you please solve this problem form me?
the speed is ve......ry slow. that's not the service I deserve for paying so much. It's should be a plustnet "EXTRA".
PLEASE release the ban, thank you in advance.
the current speed.
rpwd
Grafter

the thompson gateway is connect to the socket by a very short adapter. because the line out from gateway cannot connect to the socket on the wall directly. they doesn't match each other. The adapter is same as I've used before. So it should not the cause I think.
thank you very much. i will post the speed test after you release the ban.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

The word is "BANDED" which means that your line has been restricted to a limited speed range by the automatic equipment in the exchange because of the line instability caused in part by your multiple disconnect/reconnect actions in a short time (you said every 10 minutes).
The connection to the test socket is of course via a filter. The intention of this is to isolate the other wiring in your property which is attached to the removable front faceplate.
This video explains it
Before attempting to lift the banding we need to find out and fix what is causing your problems otherwise it will just be reapplied by the automatic systems.
Can you please post the router stats (noise margin, attenuation and speeds) in your normal socket and the test socket
rpwd
Grafter

Thank you very much, Jim. I just uploaded a photo about my connections. The socket is on the wall, so I cannot see if there is a master socket or not.
The short adapter is connected to the wall socket. The gateway is connect to the adapter as shown in the picture.
Would you please help me to figure out what is the problem?
rpwd
Grafter

my laptop is connected to Thomson gateway by wire. other devices like pad and mobile phones are connected through wireless.
all the parameters I can see from the router administrator page are:
Thomson Gateway
Thomson Gateway
Information
Product Name: TG585 v8
Software Release: 8.2.7.8

DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 17,438 / 5,276  ############# DOES this line mean that the speed could be as fast as 18M broadband?
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 280                          ############# IT actually less than 0.5M?
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 235.41 / 599.90
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 14.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 22.0 / 36.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 13.0 / 25.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 38 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 3,080,149 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 3,342,295 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 2,658 / 1,557
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 836 / 651
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Taking your stats and what they tell us
First ignore the maximum bandwidth as that is a bit of a guess and really not relevant
Attenuation 36.5dB should give a speed of about 10,600kbps
Noise margin Down - 25dB - this is because the line has been banded hence the horribly low speed
Noise Margin Up -13dB this is too low. It should be around 24dB and indicates a problem
FEC Errors - there aren't any because your line is on Fast Path
CRC errors - upstream errors although low also indicates a possible problem
Where do we go from here
The first thing is to investigate your home wiring
Can you try to trace the wiring from where it enters the property and find the first socket or termination
It may look like this
but hopefully won't be or like this
which is also a problem and best would be if it looks like this
How many sockets are there in the property and what is connected to them. Is everything filtered (connected through a filter) including a Sky Box and Monitored Alarm if you have them
rpwd
Grafter

thanks oldjim. i've checked my flat. there's only one socket on the wall which i've pictured above. it seems like the second one you posted. i cannot find any other socket in the flat.
no other devices at all. Is there any solutions for such a ridiculous slow speed?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

As it is a flat that makes it a bit tricky
I suggest that we wait for Jojo to come on line tomorrow but in the meantime I suggest raising a fault via https://portal.plus.net/apps/kbdfaults as the automatic tests just may see a problem
Can you describe exactly what happens when you lose connection and have to unplug the router to sort it - do any of the lights on the router turn red or is it that the computer loses the connection to the router rather than the router losing the connection to the exchange
rpwd
Grafter

thank you oldjim. i am reporting the fault now.
hope Jojo could help me tomorrow.