cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

REIN

godsell4
Rising Star

Re: REIN

I am reading this thread with interest, I have been the victim of my line now running 1Mb slower after BT fix a line fault. Progress has been glacial.
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

@godsell4
I have also been following your tale of woe. I hope your persistence will eventually get you the result you should expect.
If I lost 1Mb/s my downstream connection would be running backwards faster than it currently goes forwards. Come to think of it, most of the time it does!
My other car isn't a Ferrari
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Quote from: maranello
When I was with the Post Office as my phone provider they told me that since the noise went away when I disconnected the broadband equipment, it was outside of their responsibility!!!!

That's the typical bull you get if you mention BB to your POTS supplier! Providing you've checked with different filters and modem and get the same results, that proves you have duff joint acting as a diode detector and turning your BB signal into audio noise. The way to deal with that is unfortunately wait until you line crackles when your modem is not plugged in, then phone your POTS supplier, get them to confirm they can hear the noise and request them to log that fact and the fact that it is intermittent. Do this with a corded phone  plugged in (via a good filter) to the test socket. You can then say all I have plugged in is this phone in the test socket (and DON'T mention broadband.!!)
Maranello, just because they've changed your cable pair from the cab to exchange, doesn't mean that it was a good pair unfortunately. You'd hope it would be if you had a competent engineer. But what about the pair from the cab to the local DP (pole) and the overhead to your house, have all the joints been remade? It's not the overhead moving in the wind causing the problem is it?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I tried looking up POTS supplier and all I get is this
godsell4
Rising Star

POTS = Plain Old Telephone System or Supplier, those of us that work in the mobile/wireless telephony and communications business use this to refer to the old fashioned service that provides a phone line to your house purely for the purpose of making phone calls.
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
maranello
Pro

When I phoned the Post Office to report a voice line fault, the first question they asked me was if I had broadband. I couldn't lie. I think they are getting wise to the practice of reporting broadband faults as voice line faults.
I think I would have gotten a better response from Pierre's source than the last BT Engineer who visited. He spoke in vague terms in response to my simple questions, I'm not sure if it was because he didn't want to confuse me with technical terms, or that he didn't understand them himself. After 10 minutes of looking at live router stats on his laptop he said there was no fault apparent and therefore he didn't have any clue where to start looking. I asked if he could check for any poor connections, his response was that there were too many to check. I would have felt that the visit was worthwhile and not a complete waste of time if as a minimum he had at least remade the master socket connections, and the connections at the pole. The overhead line span between the anchor point on the side of my house and the pole is probably about 120 or so feet, it does sag a bit and sways in the wind. But it was quite windy here overnight (woke me up early) yet no drop in connection since a manual reboot at 5.20 pm yesterday.
I need to wait for a competent BT Engineer who is fully briefed on the problem and prepared to devote the 2 hours that he is booked for to do a thorough job. What are the chances of that happening? Apparently very rare from reading posts on this forum, but I live in hope.
James
Grafter

I'm sorry, but the suggestion that you can't have a voice line fault because you have broadband is total rubbish.
I've had a couple of support requests from non-PN customers who are with the Post Office and I've been largely unimpressed, especially from a provisioning process point of view.
maranello
Pro

Quote from: Jameseh
I'm sorry, but the suggestion that you can't have a voice line fault because you have broadband is total rubbish.

To be fair, I was reporting a noisy line fault, and since the noise went away when the router was unplugged I didn't expect them to say otherwise. I could have tried to press them to investigate further, but having recently been notified of their increase in charges I switched from them to PN for home phone straight away. That was over six weeks ago. I very much doubt that I would have got a resolution of the problem, their call centre took no notice of my daytime contact details and insisted on leaving messages on my answerphone at home when I was at work. Usual gripe about not being able to understand staff in overseas call centres, or for them to clearly understand me for that matter. It may have been unfair on Plusnet to have to inherit a potential voice line problem, but until I got broadband there was never a voice line problem apparent.
In contrast, I have been impressed with the support provided via Plusnet CSC, and help and advice from both the staff and ordinary members on this forum. One thing I have not noticed is if any member admits to being an Openreach engineer - there is at least one who has contributed to the forum on Kitz's site, would be interesting to get their view on some of the problems experienced by members and reported here.
In the meantime, still waiting for an update to my open question (26287557).
godsell4
Rising Star

After 10 minutes of looking at live router stats on his laptop he said there was no fault apparent and therefore he didn't have any clue where to start looking. I asked if he could check for any poor connections ...
I need to wait for a competent BT Engineer who is fully briefed on the problem ...  What are the chances of that happening? Apparently very rare from reading posts on this forum, but I live in hope.

Think we had the same guy sent to my house.
The problem is you will no doubt get the same engineer back again. As they seem to cover particular postcodes/towns.
Getting PN to go into bat for you is also tricky because the 'computers say No', the compuetrs may well be saying No, but now for sue as a user you are aware of something being wrong. Far enough if many of these faults can be caused by dodegy router and filters, etc, and I guess BTO and PN are exhausted by all those to give fair time to those with actual problems. Sad
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Aren't the engineers meant to stay for the full duration of the time slot (2 hours?) if they can't find a fault before that?
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

James
Grafter

They are meant to, yes.
godsell4
Rising Star

If they have done all they can in the space of 30minutes ... why stay another 90 minutes doing nothing productive?
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

I think the idea is if they can't see what the fault is, if they leave their equipment connected and monitor it for the 2 hours they might see the fault they are their to fix, and then can fix it!
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

James
Grafter

It's for intermittent faults mainly.
maranello
Pro

In the meantime, still waiting for an update to my open question (26287557).

But I don't understand why it's taking so long to get a response. The automated script response gives the impression that something is going on in the background, but doesn't say what or give any expectation of timescales. It is 48 hours since tha last response said
A member of our Support Team will investigate your issue as soon as possible.
Can anyone at Plusnet tell me what is happening?
I have noticed an increase in the background traffic over the past 24 hours, from around 50kB/hour to 300kB/hour overnight. Is this indicative of BT or Plusnet doing some monitoring of my connection?
I've been nursing the connection by making sure there are no sources of EMI close to the router, but still getting noise and subsequent loss of sync. Connection dropped overnight, but I couldn't be bothered to try to get a connection this morning or check the router logs to see when it occured. Another dropped connection occured at around 10am yesterday, and resync'd at 160kbps. This happens far more often than I believe I should expect, even though I'm on a long line.
Getting some usage stats appearing on VMBU now, so I guess the connection has re-established (probably at 160kbps) of its own accord.