Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

REIN trouble (mostly fixed)

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Where's the DLM when you need it?

It's a plastic box marked Post Office Telecom dating from the 70s / 80s. No surprises, interference back since 17:05.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

So you must have a master socket (with a ring capacitor) somewhere, I take it that the Orange/white terminal 3 wires are disconnected there - that's the most importance place.
ejs
Aspiring Hero

Yes the bell wire is disconnected in all the internal phone sockets, including the master, which would be the downstairs one that the router isn't plugged into. Plugging the router into the master made no difference to anything.
Well the interference seemed to stop at about 21:50 tonight, just for it to resume about 5 minutes later, then stop again after another few minutes. I think the interference is visible in the DS margin, it's just wasn't a big enough change for me to notice. Changed from 6.0 to 8.1 (that's an average, rather than a minimum that would be reported by default). And the interference is back again at 22:20.
ejs
Aspiring Hero

The problem finally stopped for the night at about 22:50.
ejs
Aspiring Hero

Re: REIN trouble (DLM strangely inactive)

Router PSU changed. New ridiculously high speed (and I checked the +2db noise margin tweak is still enabled). The old netgear PSU even had a metal earth pin, the new PSU like all modern ones has a plastic earth pin (that part is clip on, a 2 pin plug could be clipped on instead).
AR7 DSL Modem Statistics:
--------------------------------
[DSL Modem Stats]
        US Connection Rate:    708    DS Connection Rate:    3658
        DS Line Attenuation:    60.4    DS Margin:              5.9
        US Line Attenuation:    36.8    US Margin:              4.6
        US Payload :            4416    DS Payload:            4704
        US Superframe Cnt :    18337  DS Superframe Cnt:      18337
        US Transmit Power :    0      DS Transmit Power:      0
        LOS errors:            0      SEF errors:            0
        Errored Seconds:        2      Severely Err Secs:      0
        Frame mode:            0      Max Frame mode:        0
        Trained Path:          1      US Peak Cell Rate:      1669
        Trained Mode:          16      Selected Mode:          1
        ATUC Vendor Code:      54535443        ATUC Revision:  3
        Hybrid Selected:        3      Trellis:                1
        Showtime Count:        1      DS Max Attainable Bit Rate: 3804 kbps
        BitSwap:                1      US Max Attainable Bit Rate: 1100277 bps
        Annex:                  AnxA    psd_mask_qualifier: 0x0000
        Power Management Status: L0    DS HLINSC: 0
        US ACTPSD:              -345    DS ACTPSD: -366
        Total init. errors:    0      Total init. timeouts: 0
        Showtime init. errors:  0      Showtime init. timeouts: 0
        Last showtime init. errors: 0  Last showtime init. timeouts: 0
        ATUC ghsVid:  b5 00 54 53 54 43 05 10
        T1413Vid: 00 00        T1413Rev: 00            VendorRev: 00
        ATUR ghsVid:  b5 00 54 53 54 43 00 00
        T1413Vid: 00 00 T1413Rev: 00    VendorRev: 00
        [Upstream (TX) Interleave path]
        CRC:    0      FEC:    2328    NCD:    0
        LCD:    0      HEC:    0
        [Downstream (RX) Interleave path]
        CRC:    2      FEC:    33      NCD:    0
        [Upstream (TX) Fast path]
        CRC:    0      FEC:    0      NCD:    0
        [Downstream (RX) Fast path]
        CRC:    0      FEC:    0      NCD:    0
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

maybe i'm misunderstanding but are you saying changing the router psu has fixed the problem
or are you saying that the problem is still present your just getting a better connection now you have changed the psu ?

if its the former then grats Smiley
if its the latter well it just shows that old components are always less effective then newer ones (the new one is probably giving the router an extra 100miliamps hence the better connection)
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
ejs
Aspiring Hero

I'm saying changing the PSU gave a better connection, but that could just be due to re-syncing at 7:00 am when the interference wasn't present. I haven't seen the speed that high before (except perhaps when disabling the +2db noise margin increase tweak). I noticed the new PSU gave off different sounding interference on the AM radio, possibly sounding softer or a lower tone.
The old PSU is marked 12V 1A, the new one is 12V 1.5A, but I thought current was taken rather than given. I doubt the PSU will make any difference once the interference source resumes, earth pin differences probably irrelevant.
ejs
Aspiring Hero

The interference resumed at about 10:00 today.
The 582n arrived. It was useless, it couldn't hold the DSL connection for more than 30 seconds. It wouldn't even let the computer downstairs connect to the wifi for some reason I will analyse later.
ejs
Aspiring Hero

Well would you believe it, the interference seemed to stop 5 minutes ago while I was wandering around looking for it.
ejs
Aspiring Hero

I suppose someone might want some DSL line stats from the inferior 582n. I didn't get very far in the web UI what with it mostly informing me my DSL or internet was down.
[tt]xdsl info expand=enabled
Physical Layer Statistics:       
  Modem state:                  up
  Up time (Days hh:mm:ss):      0 days, 0:00:31
  xDSL Standard:                ITU-T G.992.5
  xDSL Annex:                  Annex A
  Channel Mode:                      Interleaved
  Number of reset:              11
  Chipset Vendor info (G.994.1):  Local Remote
    Country code:                  B500  B500
    ID:                            BDCM  TSTC
    Specific:                      0000  0510
  System Vendor info (showtime): Local Remote
    Country code:                0F00  0000
    ID:                          TMMB  ----
    Specific:                    3C61  0000
  Bearers generic info          DS        US     
    Payload rate [Kbps]: 2766    564 
    Attenuation [dB]:    63.5          36.5         
    Margins [dB]:        6.3            6.1           
    Output power [dBm]:  17.7          11.8         
    Number of bearers:          1
    Bearer 0                    DS        US     
      INP [DMT symbols]:    0.26          2.13         
      Delay [ms]:          2.77          5.33         
      Depth []:          4              0.00
      R:                  12        0     
G.997.1 Statistics (Current):       
  Failures:
    Line failures              Near end
      Loss of signal (LOS):  0     
      Loss of frame (LOF):    0     
      Loss of power (LPR):  0     
  Performance monitoring:
    Line PM:          Near end
      Error second (ES):    220   
    Channel PM:        Near end Far end
      Bearer 0:
        Code Violation (CV):    902      0     
        FEC:                    5197    109   
    ATM data path PM:            Near end Far end
      Bearer 0:
        HEC violation count (HEC):      999      N/A
[/tt]
Anotherone
Champion

Well I'm surprised you found the 582n wasn't able to hold the connection, the modem part of it is quite good - with the right firmware Roll_eyes
Does the one you have got, have a USB port or not, and what version Firmware is on it?
Also if you connected it up when the interference was present that'll probably account for the poorer sync speed.
Just reviewed the thread, and because you haven't mentioned and I haven't asked, thought it would be worth checking - the wiring to all the sockets, is it CW1308, ie the wires colours for terminals 2 & 5 is Blue+white trace & White+blue trace for all sockets?
ejs
Aspiring Hero

It doesn't have a USB port, it emits a high pitched whine that I can hear standing near it, I'm not even that young and my hearing was never that good for high frequencies. Firmware 8.4.4.J. Yes I could try 10.2.2.B, but perhaps I'll poke around in 8.4.4.J first (not with it plugged into the phone line obviously).
I am assuming the older wifi adapter that couldn't connect was due to its inability to handle the long SSID, considering it seemed to be transmitting all manner of junk non-printable (as in not in ascii range, not as in my opinion of the 582n) characters in the SSID field.
Unfortunately 2 of the internal sockets are difficult to access, the easily accessible one currently has the netgear plugged into it.
And the netgear managed to sync with a speed of 3212 with the interference present.
Edit: I forgot to mention that my neighbour who also has the problem, apparently today their landline phone no longer works properly, I think openreach will be out to fix that tomorrow.
Anotherone
Champion

They're not still sending out noisy modem/routers Roll_eyes If you've upgraded the Firmware, how's it behaving now? I think there's a possibility that 8.4.4.J doesn't like TSTC exchange chipsets in some (as yet undefinable) circumstances.
On the PSU issue, I expect the new one is running at a slightly different switch frequency, probably better designed and as it's not running as near to maximum rating, it's probably chucking out less noise, hence a slightly better speed.
I suppose you know about all the other "features" to turn of or disable on the 582n?
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Just out of interest, do you live in a rural area or urban area? What convinced you to get plusnet and not Virgin media?
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
ejs
Aspiring Hero

I haven't tried the 582n again yet, I'm not really in a hurry to. And the interference stopped at around 19:25 yesterday evening while I was out searching for it! My laptop will be given the day off from monitoring things.
Doesn't like TSTC exchange chipsets? It's a bit unfortunate then that most stats I see posted on these forums are either TSTC or IFTN. I saw my exchange is scheduled for MSE Migration this month, the spreadsheet implies it will involve unplugging and plugging end users into the new equipment, so I suppose the TSTC might change.
We live near the edge of a fairly large town, getting a high score in a speed test isn't particularly compelling, being able to browse the web reliably in the evenings is what I'm trying to fix. Which was fine until Wednesday last week. I suppose I should wander around with the short wave radio (10MHz etc.) before considering FTTC!
Edit: I thought the air band radio had short wave, but it doesn't, only air band / marine band above FM. The radio with short wave is rather bulky and I probably don't have that many C or D batteries.