cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick questions..

Method0ne
Grafter

Quick questions..

I've got my order placed to be switched to Unlimited as of my next billing date, and was wondering a couple of things;
Firstly, I know there's been issues with people keeping their static ip addresses, is this still the case or has it been resolved?
Secondly, when the account upgrade goes through, will there be another 10 day training period (the package states differing sync rates) or will everything just switch with no change?
If the answer to the second question is a no to the 10 day training period, is there any chance I can request an SNR reset to take place at a specific time, as my target currently is 12db, mainly through older modem hardware dropping constantly during dodgy conditions, currently I've been running with a manually set target of 4.5db for 9+ days, yet it stays at 12db on the BT side of things.
Please note, I don't specifically need the SNR reset, since I can tweak that myself, I'd just rather not have to if it's at all possible, since sometimes the setting doesn't stick in my router after an unwanted power cut or so.
Thank you in advance for your time.
12 REPLIES 12
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Quick questions..

Not sure about the Static IP issue (I think it's supposed to be fixed - mine was fine before the fix).
There should not be a new training period because it's only a change to the service running on your DSL and not the DSL that's changed, you could request a SNR reset before or after the change - it should make no difference - as long as your line has been stable for long enough they should be able to do this (but maybe not on a specific date).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Method0ne
Grafter

A specific date wouldn't be good enough anyway, I'd need a specific window of time on a given date, as I'd need to reconfigure the modem back to stock settings prior to the SNR being reset.
Granted, I could just reset it anyway, but I'd rather not have to deal with my internet running at half the speed it does right now.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

The problem with static IPs being lost has been fixed. Mine was retained when I upgraded after the fix was applied though might well have been OK anyway.
Are you on a 20CN or 21CN service? I think line resets are easier to control on the former. With 21CN a reset is likely to go through quite quickly though up to a day is sometimes quoted.
David
Method0ne
Grafter

Glad to hear the IP issue has been resolved.
Currently on 21cn, synced at 15.8 down with a 4.5db target, if I reset to defaults the target is at 12db, and syncs are pretty much 20cn standard of around 8 down 😕
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I can understand the BT target remaining at 12dB since the DLM probably thinks that is needed to maintain a stable connection - it probably isn't aware of what you are up to.
Are you available during the day tomorrow to respond (including removing SNRM tweaking from the router) if the Digital Care Team pick this up and are willing to do a reset?
David
Method0ne
Grafter

I'll most likely be around, since I'm now on holiday for the next 2 weeks.
Will check back in the morning.
Method0ne
Grafter

Well, morning is here again, no snow for me though unlike a lot of other places Sad
Anyone from the Digital Care Team knocking about that might be able to comment regarding an SNR reset?
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there,
I've just submitted the SNR reset for you.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Method0ne
Grafter

Would have been better to be notified first, just noticed a reconnect forced on my connection which is the only reason I thought to check back here after not hearing anything yesterday.
Now I have to disconnect, reset my SNR tweaks, and then try and make sure my router is accepting the proper config without it triggering the DSLAM and causing the target SNR to rise yet again.
Thanks for doing it though.
Method0ne
Grafter

Right, hopefully that's got the modem back to stock as far as the tweaking goes, now to wait and see what happens.
Currently synced at 14866 on stock 6db SNR, down from 15886 on a tweaked 4.5db SNR.
As to why I would have preferred to be informed beforehand, the reason is that the SNR tweak is performed based on the current set level, so from 12db down to 4.5db, that's a 7.5db drop, so from the stock 6db it tries to drop it below allowed margins, so it connected me at a 1db SNR, which, while a 17mbit sync is nice to look at, would definitely cause drops every few minutes.
Oddly, throughout all of this, my IRC connection never dropped...
Quick Edit;
Since 6db is the default, if my connection stays up, which I can imagine it will, since it did 10+ days on 4.5 with no issue, will the DSLAM lower the target further to 4.5 or even 3db, or will I have to tweak that myself?
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Quote from: Method0ne
Since 6db is the default, if my connection stays up, which I can imagine it will, since it did 10+ days on 4.5 with no issue, will the DSLAM lower the target further to 4.5 or even 3db, or will I have to tweak that myself?

It probably will seek to lower the target to 3dB at some point (changes are in 3dB steps), although it is an unpredictable beast to be sure - my connection had a 6dB SNRM, interleaving OFF, for months, then after a week's holiday during which the router was switched off it went straight to a 3dB margin, interleaving ON (admittedly at a low level.)
I don't think you can influence either the DLM's decisions or when it makes them, but at least you have the option of tweaking it a bit if you don't like what you finish up with, which is exactly what I did.
Method0ne
Grafter

Thanks for the input, it's good to know.
It's also nice that regardless of whether the DSLAM chooses to favour me or not, I can still attain speeds in excess of what I'm supposed to be able to get on my longer line.