Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick question about phone/broadband problems

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Quick question about phone/broadband problems

This is a bit of an odd one.
I have just started a fault report and as part of that I tried a different phone (didn't solve it) so now comes the odd bit
I disconnected the phone from the filter and connected the original DECT phone but I didn't have a dial tone and the broadband dropped.
Plugged the other phone back in - dial tone OK - replaced it with the DCT phone and dial tone back again
Note that the DECT phone is connected via a BT Response 75 Answerphone
Any suggestions as I don't think I disturbed the connection of the filter to the test socket (it is a dangly filter)
A further question related to the fault report.
Previously on completing the report there was an email advising that tests were being carried out - this time there wasn't and checking there is an open ticket advising that it has been forwarded to the correct team. Does this mean that the immediate automated tests aren't done now
3 REPLIES 3
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Quick question about phone/broadband problems

Hi Jim,
To my knowledge DECT phones, especially older ones (not really assuming if yours is or not) operate over fairly high frequencies for the wireless connection to the base station and that can overlap into some of the ADSL frequencies and cause drop outs like that.
I could be wrong but just a suggestion as I've seen that happen in the past.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

DECT phones do not operate over frequencies used by ADSL. Older Analogue cordless phones do operate on frequencies used by ADSL2+ so there are potential interference problems in that case. This situation is much more likely to be a combination of plugging in a phone which probably has it's own internal 'ring' capacitor, this will cause a slight surge as the capacitor is charged by the line DC voltage plus the the fact that there is a fault on the line.
I see you've had no response on the point about whether immediate automated tests are carried out.
I assume your fault is now fixed Jim, as this is a couple of weeks ago?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Hopefully - but still monitoring