cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick advice for a new, and so far very happy, PlusNet customer!

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Quick advice for a new, and so far very happy, PlusNet customer!

Just need to wait for my IP Profile to rise now

Looks like it's caught up Smiley
Current line rate = 6500

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
jamessealey
Grafter

Thanks James H, was aware of the Save All option, that is probably the only screen on the routers config pages which has a half decent amount of descriptive info on it! Just not sure on what changes become immediatly applied and what require a recon/reboot.
Chris, good news! Cheers for that, be good to see what my best download speed is now, granted i'll prob have to sit up until 3am to try that one out!
UPDATE: Just run a bt speedtest from work, granted I did hit the 'go' button then terminate my remote desktop connection and then log back in a couple of minutes later, so not 100% accurate  Wink but got 2156 kbps which imo for 4pm in the arvo is not bad!
jamessealey
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
Just need to wait for my IP Profile to rise now

Looks like it's caught up Smiley
Current line rate = 6500

Chris - thanks for the Voicemail! I only picked it up last night, my signal is really poor in work - and at home come to think of it - so it was only driving home it came through! Much appreciated! It seems my profile has had a few ups and downs, last night it dropped to 6000, and this morning my router logs were showing about an hours worth of connecting and disconnecting every ten mins or so in the middle of the night, and it appears to have dropped to 4000. My DS Sync had also dropped to 5344. This I am perfectly happy with, as running a speed test at around 8am shows a dl speed of 3.5 megs = chuffed! (Rebooting the router this morning got the DS Sync back up to 7616)
However, with that carrot dangling on a string in front of me, my curiosity wonders if I could do better? Should I take the fact that my line does sync at 7616 to mean that I can expect to be getting almost the full offering? Or does it not work like that?
Incidentally, when we moved into our house (2 weeks ago now) there was alot of noise on our phone line, which i reported using BT's automated fault system, to be told the next morning they had found the fault and by that evening fixed it. Tested the line and no noise! However, the OH mentioned on her way out the door this morning that whilst on the phone last night she heard a few pops and crackles, which sounds like the original fault. I nipped back into the house and peformed a 'quiet line test' to hear no noise, but if I were to have an intermittent issue could that be casuing the disconnects and/or drop in sync rate?
TIA
James
jamessealey
Grafter

Well it's now well over 2 months since my Plus Net broadband was activated and I am nothing short of made up with it! However, some of you may remember my ongoing issue with noise on my phone line. Well this morning I have had a new cable put in bewteen the post accross the road and my master socket, which has rectified this. My question, is kinda directed at Barry, but anyone can jump on board...
Quote from: Barry
It does look like you're on a fairly good line.  If it is stable, then after the 10-day training period I would raise a ticket asking for Interleaving to be turned off, which should give you the full 8128k sync.

From my understanding of interleaving, switching this off would reduce my latency onine, and would, as Barry mentioned, give me a higher sync speed, but will it give me any increase in download/upload speed? Also, if I do get it swicthed off and find I am then having problems with the connection, how easy is it to get it switched back on?
PS Respect to the BT Openreach guys who came this morning, quick, efficient, tidy job - good work!