cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions regarding the upgrade to Fibre

8bit

Questions regarding the upgrade to Fibre

Hi all,
I currently have Plusnet Extra broadband & phone package and am looking to upgrade to Fibre. I'm a tad confused by the descriptions of what I'll need, though, and have a couple of questions, namely:
- Will I really need an engineer to come out? I understand it's FTTC, so unless I'm going to be pleasantly surprised by FTTP, what is there for an engineer to do?
- On the fibre FAQ, it mentions the need for a " new fibre wireless router". How does this differ from the standard routers Plusnet have sent out before - is it just the ability to support greater wireless speeds?
Thanks!
2 REPLIES 2
davidcrocker
Dabbler

Re: Questions regarding the upgrade to Fibre

Your questions are answered in the Fibre section of the FAQs at http://www.plus.net/residential/faqs.shtml. In brief, yes you do need an engineer visit, the Openreach engineer will fit a new faceplate to your master socket, install the extension kit if required, and supply the VDSL modem. Yes you do need a new router, unless the one you already have is capable of being configured as a "cable router". Even if it is, your old router may not be capable of high enough wireless speeds to get the best out of FTTC.
8bit

Re: Questions regarding the upgrade to Fibre

Thanks davidcrocker, I'll have a read through that FAQ.