cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions on fibre routers

Questions on fibre routers

I live a long way from the exchange and the best speed I can achieve is 2Mb. I am thinking of switching to fibre which has an estimated speed of 19Mb at my address.  I believe that the router and modem are supplied as two separate boxes. Can someone tell me how they compare in size to my TG582N router, will they stack on each other and do they both need a mains power supply? My current router is sited next to the only telephone socket in the house so I guess this is the master socket, do I need a new / special socket for fibre?
5 REPLIES 5
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Questions on fibre routers

I can answer part of the questions
The router will be the same size as your present one
The modem will be separate and will need its own power supply but I don't know how big it is or whether it has a separate transformer
Stacking them isn't recommended but I believe that the modem can be wall mounted
When fibre is installed the engineer will replace the present master socket with a new one which incorporates its own filter
Yadda
Grafter

I can confirm what Jim has said and add that the Openreach fibre (vdsl) modem is approx. the same size as the TG582n and does have its own power lead/transformer so you will need an extra mains socket.
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi,
Welcome to the forum! Glad to hear you're considering our fibre service!
The BT modem is provided by the fibre engineer who will attend to install the fibre service. The fibre router is the same size as the TG582N router and the BT modem is very similar in size as well. Both the router and the BT modem will require a mains power supply. The engineer will carry out the necessary work on your master socket, you won't require a new socket to be installed for this. Normally the BT modem is drilled onto your wall near the master socket. It can be a hazard if you stack the router on the BT modem as this can cause the router and modem to overheat. When I had my fibre installed I asked the engineer nicely to not drill into my wall to avoid having holes in my wall, instead I've used some double sided adhesive tape to stick it to my wall.
It may be of interest knowing that we have been trialling VDSL routers (both the router and the modem in one) with some of our staff members and we are always looking to improve on the services that we provide. It is not a guarantee that this is something we're going to be offering as standard in the future, however, we are definitely looking into this.
kitz
Aspiring Pro

From what Ive seen lately the engineers dont bother drilling it on the wall anymore.  Especially if they are a contractor they cant wait to get out of the door quick enough.
My modem is just sat on its side end, whilst my TG582n is sat on the next to it flat on the desk.   (The cables were tidier that way)
It may be of interest knowing that we have been trialling VDSL routers (both the router and the modem in one) with some of our staff members

Interesting, out of curiosity which make/model?    
Im seriously in the market to purchase a combined unit, its just that as yet none of the available models seem to tick all the right boxes.  
A major shortfall is that not all of them have gigE, which is a major lack of fore-sight, particularly when connection speeds are now nearing 100Mb.  
I trust that this is something PN wont fall for - ( ala  BT HH4 short-life).

---
(edited - tryp0)
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

1 & 1 customers in Germany can have one of these 'bad boys' for FTTC: http://dsl.1und1.de/DetailsHomeServer7390  Shocked
How about it Plusnet  Wink
[Edit] the '+' version incurs a small surcharge of about €50 (not bad for a router expected to retail in the UK for well over £300.00 (Fritz!Box 7490) if/when the UK version is available).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.