cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions on backhaul and ADSL2+ (My curiosity again!!!)

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Questions on backhaul and ADSL2+ (My curiosity again!!!)

Does every ADSL2+ PN customer on the same exchange use the same backhaul? Can backhaul be faulty and badly damage getting on line or speed achieved?
I ask because someone I know who shares my exchange has awful problems , hardly, if at all, able to make connection let alone use.
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
9 REPLIES 9
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Questions on backhaul and ADSL2+ (My curiosity again!!!)

Hi there,
I believe it's independent of exchange and depends which gateway you're connected to (whether it's at Colindale or Faraday). Each one of those has a separate backhaul.
Yes, the backhauls can be faulty and can go down, but that won't in any way affect sync (which seems to be what you're talking about here?). Basically if the backhaul goes down your connection will stay on and you won't lose sync, you just won't have any data transfer.
It sounds in all honesty like he's got an intermittent sync issue. Bear in mind the broadband signal is generated in the exchange (or in the cabinet if you're on fibre) and goes from there down the phone line to your premises. All sync issues are caused by issues either in the exchange or cab, on or affecting the wiring in between, or at the customer's premises. There's nowhere else that could affect sync.
Luzern
Hero

Whatever, it is taking a time to sort out, as it is nearing unusability. They've even bought another router.
Their notmal profile would be near 17000 kb/s. I had mused, if the recent enabling of a FTTC just down the road had mucked something up.
Remarks to me were " tested and not our wiring2 and " they (PN) tell me we should get 675, but we're getting only .6". Those values puzzle me.
But hey, ho! As it's not my problem/ business, I'll leave more of their detail lie.
Thanks Adam for your time and what you have taught me, Smiley
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Not a problem Smiley Although I'm afraid I'm not Adam.
Hope it helps.
prichardson
Grafter

Quote from: lucerne
Remarks to me were " tested and not our wiring2 and " they (PN) tell me we should get 675, but we're getting only .6". Those values puzzle me.

Do you have a ticket ID at all on this?
It's highlight unlikely that a result of 0.6Kbps is going to be recorded. 675Kbps is more likely, and is infact the same at 0.6Mbps.
I'd like to have a little look into what is being said and understand this more. Your message does not indicate if this speed issue relates to a change in the sync speed, change in the profile, or that these remain the same and it's a throughput issue.
FTTC installation is unlikely to be a factor here, though does depend on the answer to points above and content of the fault.
Luzern
Hero

Hi! PM sent Smiley
cjags
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: Matt
Basically if the backhaul goes down your connection will stay on and you won't lose sync, you just won't have any data transfer.

I have been having that on and off for 2 months!
Sync yes, data transfer no.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Sure that's not a DNS issue or an auth problem? If it was hostlinks going down everyone would have the same problem and we'd certainly be seeing more of that in these forums.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Luzern
Hero

The offspring's problems now appear to be solved. Smiley
That only leaves the problem of one of the progenitors. Grin