Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions following bellwire removal

eattheword
Grafter

Questions following bellwire removal

Hi
First of all, thanks for being an ISP that provides information to its customers and which provides support via forums. I've been with Metronet/Plusnet since Broadband arrived in the village in 2003.
Anyway, to the main point of this post. Yesterday I pulled the bellwire from the panel on my NTE5 master socket. I have several extension sockets in the house, but they all daisychain off the NTE5. I have also disconnected the Sky box from the front of the socket (which, apart from a phone is the only thing plugged into the NTE5) because the Sky box is connected via one of those flat extension cables which probably has a bellwire in it (I will remove the pins from its plug at some point before reconnecting it).
My Netgear DG834GT router is plugged into an extension socket taken off the NTE5.
Some questions:
1. Am I likely to see an improvement in speed and lower ping rates?
2. My IP profile looks a bit weird: Plusnet is saying my current line speed is "Not Set" (see item 3 below). Is this a problem?
3. I suffer from gaming lag a lot in the evenings and wondered if my line should be interleaved or not. (PS3 online games: Resistance 2, mostly)
My house is about 100 yards from the exchange.

1. Product Type:

PlusNet Broadband Your Way Option 2 with included 15GB bandwidth

2. Current usage:

Paid-for usage 8.25GB  8am - Midnight 
Paid-for allowance: Up-to 15GB  8am - Midnight
Free usage: 554.04MB  Midnight - 8am   
Total usage: 8.8GB
3. IP Profile
Telephone number:
XXXXXXXXX
Phone exchange:
STOCKSFIELD
Estimated line speed:
8 - Checked on 2009-10-31 13:06:28
Current line speed:
Not set
4. Information from the BT Speedtester
Download speedachieved during the test was - 3058 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :8128 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 7150 Kbps

5.  A Speedtest from an external testing site.

6.  Your gateway
You are currently connected to the "City Lifeline, Juniper 8" gateway. This gateway is sometimes known as pcl-ag01.
7. Your exchange status
Code NESTK
VP capacity at this exchange is currently showing as Green.
8. Router stats
Netgear DG834GT
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 8128 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 8.0 db 3.5 db
Noise Margin 9.2 db 22.0 db
7 REPLIES 7
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Questions following bellwire removal

1.  You should also disconnect the bell wire at all the extension sockets
2.   It will have no effect on speed as you are already at the maximum for ADSL
3.   Your downstream noise margin looks a bit low given your attenuation and speed
4.   Current line speed - not set is a bit odd and does need looking at. I would raise a ticket asking the question
5   The Sky box shouldn't have any effect on the bell wire as it is after the filter. It might be worth trying using a double filter to see if it makes a difference
6.   I suggest plugging the router into the test socket - see picture - just to see if anything changes in the router stats
eattheword
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
1.  You should also disconnect the bell wire at all the extension sockets

ok, will do.
2.   It will have no effect on speed as you are already at the maximum for ADSL

Cry I rarely get DL speeds of over 6 kbps, I was hoping I'd get nearer the 7150...
3.   Your downstream noise margin looks a bit low given your attenuation and speed

Which means...?
4.   Current line speed - not set is a bit odd and does need looking at. I would raise a ticket asking the question

Will do.
5   The Sky box shouldn't have any effect on the bell wire as it is after the filter. It might be worth trying using a double filter to see if it makes a difference

Ok.
6.   I suggest plugging the router into the test socket - see picture - just to see if anything changes in the router stats

Reluctant as most things are connected via ethernet and that would render most of my network unusable. Guess I could do it for a test though.
Thanks for the pointers.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Quote from: eattheword
3.   Your downstream noise margin looks a bit low given your attenuation and speed

Which means...?

I would have expected a higher noise margin which may not have much effect at present but certainly will when you eventually go to ADSL2+
What this tends to indicate is that you have more noise on the line than would be normal for that attenuation.
Now that may be external to your property but, given that you are running the router off one of the extension sockets may very well be your internal wiring.
This is why the check using the test socket would be useful. If it doesn't change the noise margin then you are stuck with it.
Regarding your speed test results - you can ignore the BT Test as that is notoriously flakey. The other result of 5.641Mbps is a bit low but I really don't know why if your exchange is showing green
pierre_pierre
Grafter

the normal maxes for your connection are synch 8128, profile 7159, download speed 6000-6500 depending on time of day.  The sky connection can be a problem, have you got one of these at the end of the line as it is not a filter
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re:Questions following bellwire removal

I've set the profile on our side to match the BT one at 7150.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
eattheword
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
I've set the profile on our side to match the BT one at 7150.

Thanks, Chris, much appreciated.  Smiley
Will I notice any difference in the connection?
James
Grafter

Hi,
You might notice a difference, but I wouldn't expect it to be massive.