cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about switching to Plusnet Unlimited

DAST
Dabbler

Questions about switching to Plusnet Unlimited

I am currently on the Broadband Your Way Option 2 plan but since my boys have bought an X-Box I (or they) have already used my 15GB allowance this month. So, I am going to change product - probably to Plusnet Unlimited but have several questions perhaps someone (or more) can answer.
Plusnet Unlimited has a 2Mbps downstream speed for gaming. Is this sufficient?  Broadband Your Way Option 2 had no restriction and my line speed is generally ~3Mbps.
Plusnet Unlimited has an 18 month contract. Is it possible to switch to another Plusnet product during this period? Would I be stuck with these speeds (for many services) if ADSL2+ speeds became available to me?
I currently have free 240 minutes broadband phone use. Is this included with Plusnet Unlimited?
If I change now will I have new product immediately (& pay pro-rata for this month)?
Finally does it come with a free router?
Thanks in advance - sorry for so many questions but answers don't seem easy to find on the web-site.
13 REPLIES 13
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Re: Questions about switching to Plusnet Unlimited

Hi there,
               I can answer a couple of these questions for you and im sure others will explain the rest to you,theres no 240 free min broadband phone on the unlimited,if you put in your order now to switch to unlimited that would take place on your next billing date,there is a free router if you havnt already had one, but if you needed one im sure plusnet would be kind and give you one,you would just pay the p&p for it,you can switch between plusnet unlimited and plusnet pro as often as you like i guess,to whatever suits your needs best,and finally 2mb for xbox is efficient.
Hope that sheds a bit light your way Smiley
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

As an existing customer you can take your broadband minutes with you - I did; new customers will not get these however.
The contract's are changing so it won't be 18months but if you take the router and leave early I believe you'll have to pay a penalty.
As you are on BBYW you could try moving to BBYW3 and see if that suits you better?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
James
Grafter

Hi Dast,
Plusnet Unlimited has a 2Mbps downstream speed for gaming. Is this sufficient?  Broadband Your Way Option 2 had no restriction and my line speed is generally ~3Mbps.
- This should be perfectly sufficient.  Online gaming generally doesn't require much in the way of speed.
Plusnet Unlimited has an 18 month contract. Is it possible to switch to another Plusnet product during this period? Would I be stuck with these speeds (for many services) if ADSL2+ speeds became available to me?
- We changing this in about a month.  It'll be on a monthly contract, but there will be deferred charges for activation, house moves and hardware.  If you cancel within 12 months of receiving any of those, you will need to pay for them (activation will be £30, house move will be £60 and hardware will be £29.99).
I currently have free 240 minutes broadband phone use. Is this included with Plusnet Unlimited?
- You can keep your existing bb phone package.
If I change now will I have new product immediately (& pay pro-rata for this month)?
- It's normally scheduled to your next billing date, but we can move the product immediately if you do not have Home Phone.
- It can do Smiley  There would be a P&P charge of £6.99.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

There are other traffic prioritisation differences between BBYW 2 and Unmetered. See http://www.kitz.co.uk/isp/plusnet_shaping2.htm
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
DAST
Dabbler

Thanks everyone for your replies - I've just added more usage (with a cap of course) for this month & will see how it goes.
pint
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Jameseh
Hi Dast,
Plusnet Unlimited has a 2Mbps downstream speed for gaming. Is this sufficient?  Broadband Your Way Option 2 had no restriction and my line speed is generally ~3Mbps.
- This should be perfectly sufficient.  Online gaming generally doesn't require much in the way of speed.
- We changing this in about a month.  It'll be on a monthly contract, but there will be deferred charges for activation, house moves and hardware.  If you cancel within 12 months of receiving any of those, you will need to pay for them (activation will be £30, house move will be £60 and hardware will be £29.99).
- You can keep your existing bb phone package.
- It's normally scheduled to your next billing date, but we can move the product immediately if you do not have Home Phone.
- It can do Smiley  There would be a P&P charge of £6.99.

Ive been on PlusNet Broadband Premier Option 1 for some time ( since 2005 ) with the above information would there be any benifit in moving?
would i be able to keep my 340 minutes per month, webspace etc etc moving from premier to unlimitied, or is that just for those moving from BBYW?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi pint,
I'd say it would be worth the move but then you may think me biased, being staff. As for the second question, you can keep the broadband phone and webspace etc if you move.
Hope that helps, cheers,
GarethNelson
Dabbler

I just posted a review of my first impressions having just switched myself:
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,79216.32.html (last post)
To sum it up: Seems faster on all but BitTorrent thus far
pint
Aspiring Pro

Ive just had a look into the unlimited offer that screams " £11.99 per month" then after going through the change product pages it does a ryanair and magicly changes to £19.99 per month.

*  £11.99 for next 3 billing months then £19.99 per month thereafter
    * Unlimited Usage Allowance
    * Peer-to-Peer/Binary USENET - Expected speeds explained
    * The ultimate broadband product
    * 18-month Contract
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

The price depends on whether you're on a market three or a market one/two exchange. For more information take a look here.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

pint
Aspiring Pro

It says im on a market 1 Exchange, is it possible to move the line to a better market conection?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

yup - move house  Grin
James
Grafter

Sorry Pint, Jim's pretty much right there.