cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about recent fibre installation

lateuk

Questions about recent fibre installation

Hi,
I just had a BT Openreach engineer over to install fibre in my property. My plus net fibre router has not yet arrived (I had to call up today and was informed there had been a mix up and it had bit yet been ordered, so the order for one went in today.) My question is thus, the BT Openreach engineer didn't install a Openreach modem box next to my socket. Having had fibre installations that had those in the past, is it normal not to have one and will the router PlusNet is sending me be compatible without one? My understanding was that PlusNet supplies the TG582n for fibre, however I already have one of those having been a non fibre customer at another property until about a month ago. The Openreach engineer informed me that it would not be compatible and having plugged in my old router I can confirm that is the case. He did confirm the property is receiving fibre optic though, remarking there was 68 down and 20 up showing on his line diagnosis tool.
Regards,
Joe.
2 REPLIES 2
grahamt
Rising Star

Re: Questions about recent fibre installation

Sounds very much like you should have had an Openreach modem installed. Some Openreach engineers automatically assume you're getting BT Infinity, and I believe BT now provide an integrated modem/router. The TG582n should work with the Openreach modem.
It may be that someone from Plusnet will pick this post up and contact Openreach (PN were proactive when I posted about a problem a few weeks ago - and I'm grateful for that), but in case this doesn't happen it might be a good idea to raise a ticket asking them to do this. Log into the Member Centre and then try this link:
https://portal.plus.net/wizard/index.html?help_action=tdl01
bobbydazzler
Dabbler

Re: Questions about recent fibre installation

He should have provided a BT Openreach Modem box if a Fibre install.  
It isn't plain sailing with the contractors BT send out to do Fibre connections, I had issues with mine a couple of weeks ago (no new faceplate fitted on master socket and Fibre speeds were lousy).  All fixed today when a "proper" BT engineer called and did what should have been done originally.
I'd call Plusnet, sounds like you will need another engineer out.  The router you have may work with Fibre (once you have a modem), I know Plusnet provide the same router for both adsl & fibre  but not sure if they have different firmware?