Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about my last SNR reset.

Pendragon
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Questions about my last SNR reset.

A question really for support because I didn’t want to raise another ticket unless necessary.
I’ve been having a few problems with my connection over the last few months and eventually posted a ticket with the result an ‘SNR Reset’ was performed on or about the 15th. This reset pushed my SNR from the usual downstream setting of around 3dB to just over 6dB, this was because of suggested instability on my line. Also my downstream connection speed dropped from around 5.9/6.1 Meg (most of last year) to 4.9 Meg as of now.
Yesterday I installed a new monitoring program DSLstats and happened to notice my ‘Interleave’ is OFF, in all my time using ADSL on this line I have never (to the best of my knowledge), had this turned off because of the nature of my rural line.
I’ve checked the last message from support (#79774429), and noticed this at the bottom of the reply (my bad for not reading all of it);
NFF and all systems reporting perfect.
1 or 2 errors expected as interleaving is off. No DCN and all reporting is perfect. (my bold)
So could someone find out why interleaving is off and has the reset actually turned it off, also would another reset or change turn it back on, and would resetting the target SNR to 3 dB restore my upper 5.9 Meg connection again?
Lots of questions but with games getting ever larger to download and FTTC just a dream for people like us every extra bit of speed we can squeeze out is a win (my last one was 28Gig and took 2 days).
Thanks P.
9 REPLIES 9
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Questions about my last SNR reset.

Hi Pendragon,
Interleaving's actually set to Auto, even though it's off - it's showing as having been off since the 8th Jan, also when the SNR target went up from 3dB to 6dB. As such it might have been turned off by a reset (though as it's set to Auto we'd still expect it to turn back on if enough errors or drops were recorded).
Another reset could turn it on if you wished, if you want the downstream SNR target setting back to 3dB (which would increase your sync speed, though I couldn't promise you'd reach the speeds you were at previously - but hopefully you would) I'd definitely recommend turning it back on.
That being the case, I assume you'd like to go ahead with it? Just say the word and I'll get it done for you Smiley
Pendragon
Rising Star

Thanks for the reply Matt didn’t expect one that quick with the workload you guys must have.
Well your reply answers the question as to why we have been having problems this year, it was early this year when things starting to get really unstable with our connection.
So yes please give it a try with the reset and (or just) set SNR back to 3dB and we will see how it goes it would be nice if the speed when up a bit as well.
Regards P.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Just requested it for you, it'll take effect at some point this afternoon - hope it goes well, please let us know.
Pendragon
Rising Star

Thanks Matt,
Reset went through as the notification message arrived from the forum auto system.
Down speed is now 5867 and up is 1123 (not too worried about that to be honest), SNR is now 3dB and interleaving is ON.
Will let you know if it remains stable, thanks again, P.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi Pendragon,
Hmmm rural lines know them too well.  What are your line error figures like?  Sometimes (due to significant error rates) you can attain a better DATA throughput rate at a lower SYCH rate.  A lower SYCH rate generates fewer errors and associated DATA retransmissions for error recovery.
Do you have comparable DATA transmission speed test reports at your old and at your current synch rates?
On a 'bad' day, web browsing can seem faster with a synch of 3.5mbps than it does on a 'good' day with a synch speed of 6.4mbps. Raw synch speed alone is not the complete story to achieving optimal data throughput!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Pendragon
Rising Star

Hi Townman,
Sorry don’t have an ‘concrete’ statistics for actual download speed only our anecdotal reports from a Windows 7 network app.
Last year when our synch speed was around the 5.8/6.1 downstream we had a throughput of around 600KB/s but at the moment we are getting around 400KB/s. I would expect this to rise (based on years of knowledge using this line), to close to this figure over the next few weeks if the line remains stable.
If it insists on staying low then I expect matt or someone will give our profile a nudge to get it moving in the right direction.
Just did a BT Wholesale line test and it reports 4.06Mbps Down, 0.94Mbps Up and Ping of 40ms, will test again in a few days and see if things are better.
Regards P.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

What does the BT speed test report for your IP profile.
Does the current line speed on the Plusnet portal match?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It does now Wink cheers Jelv.
Pendragon
Rising Star

Christ you guys can be quick sometimes, just ran the check and Matt is right it all matches.
Thanks again everyone, will update this thread if anything untoward happens, regards, P.