cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question regarding fibre setup

OZ
Grafter

Question regarding fibre setup

So the BT engineer popped down today. He installed a data extension kit from the phone socket to upstairs where my PC is situation.
I plugged in the BT openreach moden and Plusnet router myself, and now appear to be connected.
My sync speed is 78mbit. Speedtest.net gives me 65mbit of speed.
Is all fine?
What do I do if I want to remove this 'data extension kit'?
I need it for now but we already have wiring under the floor board, so I am curious.
Furthermore, how do I setup broadband with my own router?
What is the correct procedure to powering down your routers if you want to switch routers? When I initially plugged in my Netgear WPN824v2 and typed in my plusnet user and pass, I got no internet connectivity. It was set at PoPPE.
This is the router:
http://support.netgear.com/product/WPN824v2
edit: Wow, the more speed tests I do, the slower my internet speed becomes.
1. 65mbit
2. 59mbit
3. 42mbit
10 REPLIES 10
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Question regarding fibre setup

What do I do if I want to remove this 'data extension kit'?

I've not seen an actual kit myself but I understand it to be a Cat5e cable with an RJ11 plug one end ( connected to the VDSL faceplate on the Master socket ) and a new box with an RJ11 socket at the other end. Providing your existing cable is Cat5 or better ( not standard telephone wiring ) then you COULD use that to either connect the modem directly ( using RJ11 connectors ) or to make the connection between the modem and router ( using RJ45 ).
Furthermore, how do I setup broadband with my own router?

You need to configure a pppoe connection with your plusnet username/password as defined here http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/broadband-connection-settings.shtml
What is the correct procedure to powering down your routers if you want to switch routers?
Disconnect the pppoe session BEFORE powering down.
When I initially plugged in my Netgear WPN824v2 and typed in my plusnet user and pass, I got no internet connectivity. It was set at PoPPE.
There is currently an issue being investigated whereby SOME routers can take a few minutes to establish a connection. It seems to be caused by waiting for a previous pppoe session to timeout. Disconnecting the pppoe session first, before changing routers SHOULD eliminate that issue.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

OZ
Grafter

Disconnect the PoPPE session first? Sorry, I'm not sure I follow.
Do I turn off the Plusnet router first, and then turn off the BT Open Reach router?
Furthermore, do I need to do any fancy IP address settings with the Netgear or is the user and pass the only information that I require? I have connected it to the BTO router via the WAN port.
IP address is 192.168.1.1  (versus Plusnet's 192.168.1.254). Does that make a difference? Also, what about DCHP? On or off?
njay
Grafter

The VDSL2 plate has A+B connectors on it that are filtered. The data extension cable can be hardwired to this and typically runs to a data only extension socket. However it doesn't preclude the use of plugging in the  Openreach modem into the socket at the top of the VDSL2 plate which I gather as the demarkation point for fibre is the modem itself. .i.e. as voice and data is now filtered at this plate. In order to test a fibre connection you still only need to remove the lower half in order to isolate the fibre modem connected to the top socket.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi OZ, just wanted to answer your questions there.
Quote from: OZ
Disconnect the PoPPE session first? Sorry, I'm not sure I follow.

The modem maintains sync with the exchange, but doesn't actually make the connection itself - that's done in the router. All you need to do is log into the router's configuration pages and disconnect using the button that should be in there, that will disconnect the PPPoE session.
Do I turn off the Plusnet router first, and then turn off the BT Open Reach router?

Unless you're moving it, it's best not to turn off the Openreach modem as that might trigger the DLM and reduce your speed further. You should be fine to power down and disconnect the netgear from that while it's powered on though.
Furthermore, do I need to do any fancy IP address settings with the Netgear or is the user and pass the only information that I require? I have connected it to the BTO router via the WAN port.
IP address is 192.168.1.1  (versus Plusnet's 192.168.1.254). Does that make a difference? Also, what about DCHP? On or off?

Just username and password should be fine tbh, the IP settings are all internal and not affected by the broadband.
Hope that helps Smiley
OZ
Grafter

So I keep the Openreach modem on at all times - gotcha.
How about DCHP? On or off?
Also, if my sync speed is 78mbit, should I not get 78mbit download speed instead of 64.5mbit?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

The VDSL2 plate has A+B connectors on it that are filtered. The data extension cable can be hardwired to this and typically runs to a data only extension socket.

Thanks for that njay, not having seen one myself I wasn't sure if it ( the data extension ) was hardwired or just plugged in.
I assume you meant unfiltered connections on the back of the faceplate though and it was a typo.
How about DCHP? On or off?
DHCP should be on, you will need that to allocate IP addresses to you connected PC's etc.
Also, if my sync speed is 78mbit, should I not get 78mbit download speed instead of 65mbit?
No, your IP profile is set to approx 88% of synch speed and so that will be the absolute maximum throughput. There are lots of other factors that will affect it though, not least of all wireless. Any spped tests need to be done via a wired connection to the router to obtain sensible results.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

njay
Grafter

Quote from: MisterW
The VDSL2 plate has A+B connectors on it that are filtered. The data extension cable can be hardwired to this and typically runs to a data only extension socket.

Thanks for that njay, not having seen one myself I wasn't sure if it ( the data extension ) was hardwired or just plugged in.
I assume you meant unfiltered connections on the back of the faceplate though and it was a typo

Yes unfiltered but if you want to also have a phone at the end point its suggested to actually run two pairs to separate data and voice extension sockets (or use the double one suggested lol). See link below.
http://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/adsl-extensions/vdsl-extension-t73.html#p149
I can see why this would be the case as otherwise if you just fit a standard socket at the other end of the line, unless you fit a VDSL2 (or ADSL) faceplate of use a microfilter there then the voice will be unfiltered.
The socket on the VDSL2 plate which the NT5e plate now plugs into IS apparantly filtered (so as to remove the need for any microfilters on any extention wiring attached to the lower NT5e faceplate) so plugging the fibre modem in there won't work.
OZ
Grafter

Yes - the engineer hardwired the extension cable directly to the faceplate. If I want to remove it, I can simply unwire the wires from the terminal, correct?
njay
Grafter

What did the engineer do at the other end?
Did they terminate it with a connection that goes directly into your modem.
Did they fit a data only socket which you then plug the modem cable into
If they did the latter then you could Convert it to a normal phone socket and then swap the wires from the A+B on the vdsl2 plate onto the 5and2 connectors on the lower nt5e plate.
Or just leave it be as you can still plug in the modem into the top socket on the vdsl2 plate even with the data extension cable hardwired in.
OZ
Grafter

On the other end is a faceplate/socket. I want to be able to remove this extension kit. At the moment, it's wires running from the master socket to the stairs. Eventually I will have no need for this setup.