Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question re Asus router setups

Routefinder
Grafter

Question re Asus router setups

Hi all
I am looking at getting either the DSL-N66U or its similarly named RT-N66U?
Now my question is about the various settings available in the GUI, now I have downloaded the pdf of the DSL version manual and there is no mention of this (to me important question).
In the manual it shows the lefthand menu for LAN selected and this then shows the control over the DHCP which is great (I like that Smiley ) but the Tab to the left of the DHCP tab is LAN IP but Asus in their wisdom do not show the details and control possible on that tab indeed there is nothing about the other tabs either???
So to users of these two products can you please tell me does the LAN IP Tab allow you to change the default IP from 192.168.1.1 to another choice of the third digit for example 192.168.2.1
TIA for the user insight & feedback Smiley
PS nor can I see any mention of where you can change the default username & password though logic would infer that function at least is there :lol:
8 REPLIES 8
thomasjc1
Grafter

Re: Question re Asus router setups

Routefinder
Grafter

Many thanks for that, so the default LAN IP address is user "configurable" Smiley  Though what is the little symbol in that box???  Is it a dropdown or a padlock  Undecided
Finguz
Grafter

I would imagine that symbol is something to do with his particular browser, but I could be wrong.
If you install a custom firmware, for e.g Merlins, you get an extra option on that tab, and lots of other extras Cool
Routefinder
Grafter

Thanks for the screen grab Smiley
The more I look more the more questions...............on my Netgear I have Firewall control on IN & OUT bound traffic for example I have IM services disabled.  Not again the manual is lacking as though I can see "Firewall" listed on the lefthand menu there is nothing in the manual that talks about that feature, so any insight would be welcome Smiley
Oh, on the Traffic QoS function does the Traffic Monitor 'work' if QoS is turned off?
TIA Cheesy
Finguz
Grafter

Routefinder
Grafter

Many thanks for those screen grabs ~ much appreciated.  The firewall does look comprehensive (though I will need to reconcile the differences in descriptions/functions differences to make sure the Netgear setup is covered as appropriate the same way on the Asus settings!) and the other thing I like to do that I did find in the manual was that Mac filtering is available for wireless connections. So all to the good as IMO control & security is about layers to be sure Smiley
I have now pressed the button and bought the DSL-N66U........................roll on next week to receive it and set it up to my liking for use initially on the ADSL and then once FTTC sorted (I hope within the next 6 to 8 weeks, though the BDUK plans say by the end of December.........but I doubt that???) change the PPPoA to PPPoE obviously cabling up correctly Wink and should be good to go.  Hopefully it will be that simple Cheesy
Only other thing I need to do is run some Cat 5e in place of my CW1308 cable asap so I have all the bases covered Smiley
Edit ~ many thanks again for the last screengrab Smiley It looks like the selection of PPPoA or PPPoE is hidden and the router/modem decides based on WAN or DSL (I surmise the latter choice will be there in the DSL version) also looks to me like it offers a failback function.....sounds useful if one has the lines available?
Goodnight  Cool
Routefinder
Grafter

Just thought I would post this link for any others with similar questions.
It is a dummy GUI (fully functional?)  Cool I found by browsing round the (I think it was ~ it was late when I found it!) the Asus site FAQs
http://ec2-50-112-54-3.us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com:8080/index.asp it is not the same model so some functions are not what I was asking about (like the choice of PPPoE vs PPPoA) but I surmise the base GUI is the same for all current models.
Enjoy  Smiley
thomasjc1
Grafter

Quote from: Routefinder
Many thanks for that, so the default LAN IP address is user "configurable" Smiley  Though what is the little symbol in that box???  Is it a dropdown or a padlock  Undecided

yes sorry that symbol is nothing to do with the router its lastpass so you dont have to write your password or whatever in all the time