Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question over BT Infinity 2 v Plusnet Fibre Unlimited

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Question over BT Infinity 2 v Plusnet Fibre Unlimited

I had seen many customers over BT Infinity 2 getting 75.1Mb throughput from ip profile 77.4Mb. But here all customers at plusnet only getting 72.1Mb throughput out of ip profile 77.4Mb. Why is Plusnet 5Meg less than BT IP Profile? Surely it should be around 2 Meg less than IP Profile?
Just curious!
4 REPLIES 4
deathtrap
Grafter

Re: Question over BT Infinity 2 v Plusnet Fibre Unlimited

Well the only difference that i can see  network wise  is that Plusnet still  manage/shape/throttle/prioritize (other words are available) traffic  that and possibly different hardware/software  ie gateways ,then there's the handover points  from BTW to Plusnet , oh and peering link capacity  will be different too as they don't share peering  apart from the odd exception But it could also in some way be down to the fact that Plusnet  for some reason need to have their own IP profile , other ISP's use BTW 's  with the exception of sky and tt, who use their own back haul, The other variable is the router being used by the customer
The only logical reason i can see for them having a second(copy) of the BTW IP profile is for their traffic shaping  to work as intended , if anyone knows more on this please feel free to enlighten us
Oh and  slightly off topic but as of the past few days there seems to be a lot of severs on speedtest.net  in the uk  giving really slow upload speed results,  don't know if it's down to speedtest.net cdn or the servers , anyone seeing similar? the highest download speed result I've seen so far from speedtest.net is 73.??mbps which when compared to other sources isn't far off ,
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I suggest trying the TBB speedtester and report the results
deathtrap
Grafter

That works ok, but has it's moments ,  I've noticed that  other speedtest sites also report a low upstream result http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/ see http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/results.php?t=1392575378&v=21712937 is one, the BTW speedtest doesn't ever show a correct upload speed always been lower ,  there are few more out there that always have given low upstream results

The first one gave a dodgy result but the second one was more accurate
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

There u go oldjim. Bear in mind, my daughter using netflix and pc while I use my pc watching bbci player with this speed test result. Pretty good.
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?id=139257624078394258855