Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on rebooting router

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Question on rebooting router

I have read various topics on speed and profiling issues on these forum, and apologies if this sounds dim, but thought I would ask. Why do we need to reboot the router when a profiling change has taken effect. Reason I ask is, my line as an attn of 42db, and I usually sync at around 4000kbps. ( still using a crappy extension cable to the router upstairs, not got around to getting a faceplate and cat5 cable yet!!!)I was at this for the last couple of months without a sync drop, until my wife decided it would be a good idea to remove the phone cables from the socket so our one year old would not phone anyone, when he messes with the phone. I came home from work, and put back in the BB extension. I resynced at 4700 kbps, which would put me upto a 4 meg profile. I have been stable for over 3 days, but I am worried if I reboot the router my sync will fall back into the 3500 mark, even though I am stable at the 4000 mark. Can I just disconnect the dsl connection to Plus, rather then a full reboot??  Anyone any comments?Huh
ps its not a complaint, just an observation Wink
2 REPLIES 2
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Question on rebooting router

hi PJ, just tried in fact, and it worked.  Wondered why therefore people are told to reboot the router?? Huh
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Question on rebooting router

As posted above this works fine - it's the disconnection of (and reconnection to) the service that matters.
Wondered why therefore people are told to reboot the router?? Huh

Mostly because some people can be a little scared of pulling cables out, and also because often there's a reboot option in the router's config pages.
Hope that helps,