Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question for PN about IT

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Question for PN about IT

PN,
What qualifications do you look for from your IT staff for an entry level position (EG 1st line support)?
Do you look for anything in particular or just anything in general that shows your applicant has knowledge in the field?
Thanks,
Sprite
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
9 REPLIES 9
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Question for PN about IT

7up
Community Veteran

Just to add to that, I'm not looking to join PN, I'm just asking a general question regarding IT qualifications.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

@sprite, as with jobs in many other fields you may find that requirements for qualifications do vary from company to company as there's no industry-wide standard.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
7up
Community Veteran

Hi Adam, thanks for your reply.
Thing is I'm looking at doing one or two of these:
    MCITP: Windows 7, Enterprise Desktop Technician
    CompTIA A+ IT Technician 2009
    CompTIA Network+ 2009
    OCP: Java SE6 Programmer
    MCTS: .NET Framework 3.5, Windows Communication Foundation Application
    MCTS: .NET Framework 3.5, ASP.NET Applications
    CompTIA Network+ 2009
    CCNA: Cisco Certified Network Associate
The snag is I've been had by one of these private companies before when doing a compTIA course and it basically turned out to be years out of date, overpriced and I was one of the lucky few who backed out quick enough that I was still in the cooling off period (the company have been done by trading standards several times now). I guess what I'm looking for is feedback to see what PN as an IT employer thinks of these qualifications? - IT courses and jobs seem to be a minefield!
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

That's a real cross selection.. .might be worth asking what you want to do for a job?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
7up
Community Veteran

Ideally I'd like to be a programmer and a few people I know have said Java is in hot demand or c# (not keen on c# though due to the .NET dependency) but I'd settle just to get a foot in the door as 1st line or anything really.
Trouble is these days employers are getting really choosy..
James
Grafter

You're going to struggle getting programming jobs without experience.  I think last time we advertised a PHP role, we were looking for 5 years+.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

I don't know if this site might give you any useful info but it does seem honest and unbiased to me (sorry if it's no use).
http://ittrainingscotland.co.uk/
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
7up
Community Veteran

Quote from: Jameseh
You're going to struggle getting programming jobs without experience.  I think last time we advertised a PHP role, we were looking for 5 years+.

Yes I figured that may be the case. What sort of experience do you guys look for? - presumably work experience not home based? - IE if someone showed you a portfolio of projects they'd completed at home would you take them seriously or look at the next candidate?
I had to give a presentationjust to get my  last interview, which I did and included screenshots for some of my past projects along with all sorts of other stuff. That went down well and I got invited back to the next stage interview but they had 30 odd candidates being interviewed for just 4 positions (just for 1st line). Needless to say I didn't get in (I then found out i had been put up against those with degrees so despite not getting the job at least I got through to the second stage!).