Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question for Ex-Talk Talk Customers

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Question for Ex-Talk Talk Customers

I have discovered one of my neighbours is on Talk Talk.
I found this by accessing their unsecured router and browsing it's settings.
My question is this, is it standard for the username to be the customer's phone number which on an unsecured WiFi seems stupid?
I'm now contemplating what action to take if any as I don't yet know which neighbour it is Undecided
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
13 REPLIES 13
pjemmanuel
Grafter

Re: Question for Ex-Talk Talk Customers

I'm not on Talk Talk, but I have assisted a couple of friends to set theirs up.
I can confirm that it is common practice for the username to be the telephone number. Can't confirm the unsecured WiFi though, the three that I have assisted to install have all purchased their own routers because they have recently bought laptops. I've simply configured the routers for them.
In each case, I've replaced the Talk Talk modem with the router.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Yes Strat speaking as a very brief customer I can confirm the username In question Is Indeed your phone number and password.
If you now have their phone number simply give them a ring explaining what you have discovered.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Strat
Community Veteran

Thanks Steve and Phil.
This situation has cropped up here before and it's a delicate situation because they may feel you have 'broken into' their privacy.
However they have broken their own privacy by not securing their WiFi.
I'm one of the good guys.....many aren't.
Edit; I've left a message on their answer phone so they can call me back if they need to.
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Yeah I completely understand where your coming from, It Is as you say their own fault for not securing their network, Take a baseball bat round with you for backup Wink
julesandsand
Grafter

Quote from: Steve
Yeah I completely understand where your coming from, It Is as you say their own fault for not securing their network,

Is that the same as saying that if I'm in my back garden it's OK for someone to walk in and look around my house as the door is unlocked?
I do agree however it's completely daft not to secure your network.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

From a burglar's point of view, Yes.
julesandsand
Grafter

No it isn't - I said looking around, not stealing anything, that's not burglary.
Years ago I had WEP security on my network (had a Squeezebox that wouldn't work with anything else) and a neighbour obviously cracked it and stole my bandwith, I didn't notice until I went over my 80Gb allowance, up until then I had neve gone over 20Gb - now that was theft!
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Its not your choice If Im the burglar I will do more than look around Wink
julesandsand
Grafter

There's always one and you are it.
No doubt you will need to have the last word.
Go on - you have to.
Strat
Community Veteran

The last word on this thread could be mine Wink
Let's not make it so Smiley
Lorenzo48
Grafter

Having just set one up for a friend it clearly tells you to add security and has the key on the bottom of the router.
Handy for when you run out of bandwidth  Wink
pierre_pierre
Grafter

even when the add security to their router, they have nothing to stop you logging on via another network, just use their phone number, have to sniff out the one close to me and be naughty
I had another one over the road to me on another ISP, no password, told my friend the error of his ways and offered to help, took him nearly 3 months to lock it
Strat
Community Veteran

I'll recheck this one in a few days and maybe offer assistance if they haven't secured it.
It occurred to me that the laptop and Wii I can see on their network could quite easily be others piggybacking.