cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about my line stats.

anytbut
Grafter

Re: Question about my line stats.

Just been told via another forum they`re scotchlocks/jelly crimps,as i thought it`s just to extend the short wires. Smiley
One question done,now to why one router has 15db less upstream attenuation,both are netgears,the lower one is a DG834 and the higher is a DG834GT.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It could be that the router is just more compatible with the line or there's an issue with the GT. I would go for the first one at a guess Smiley
anytbut
Grafter

I would do, but the lack of wifi would have me lynched by the rest of the household! Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

A rock and a hard place then ?  Undecided
anytbut
Grafter

Ok,just got the line stats from 10 doors down.....
ADSL Link                        Downstream        Upstream
Connection Speed          7616kbps              448 kbps
Line Attenuation              25.0 db                  15.5.5 db
Noise Margin                    9.3 db                    21.0 db
The upstream nm might be different,didnt jot the stats down on paper,but thats a seriously better connection than i have!
Would that indicate theres more to my lack of speed than a different cab?Huh
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Well your neighbour's attenuation is consistent with being 1.8km from the exchange, which is what you quoted in an earlier post. And in fact your neighbour's sync speed would probably increase to the maximum (for ADSLmax) of 8128kbps if interleaving was turned off (just guessing it's probably 'on').
Your attenuation being twice your neighbour's suggests either you live 1.8km from your neighbour ( Grin ), your line to the exchange is 1.8km longer due to connection via a different cabinet taking a much longer route ( Huh ) or there is a serious problem with your connection. Definitely time for some serious diagnostic work starting by eliminating problems with your internal wiring.
David
anytbut
Grafter

No extension wiring,  main socket with filtered faceplate ....only have 2 wires connected via those jelly crimps to the rear of the socket (as per pic). Hard to see that its a internal problem, unless I'm missing something.
anytbut
Grafter

Do you think i should raise a ticket and link it to this thread?
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

No reason not to raise a low speed fault at http://faults.plus.net. It is imperative that you remove the face plate and connect directly to the test socket (via a working filter) for diagnostic purposes.
You can link the resulting fault report to this thread.
David
anytbut
Grafter

Ticket been raised and linked to this thread. Smiley
anytbut
Grafter

Just checked various telephone numbers of places along my street (pub,library,care home...all less then a minute from my home) on the BT brodband availability checker and they all rate betweeen 5.5-7mbps.
Guess BT don`t like me. Cheesy
anytbut
Grafter

Should have the tech peeps back to me today (gave cs a nudge yesterday) ,been looging routerstats past 2 days.
Connection seems stable,just compounds the fact that my sync seems to be out of odds with others around me.

......The 3 drops in my NM was me unplugging the ethernet cable on the pc,not through a drop in sync. Smiley
anytbut
Grafter

Just been through my original post when i 1st joined PN and had my old stats posted on it
ADSL Link    Downstream    Upstream
Connection Speed    5024 kbps    448 kbps
Line Attenuation    49.0 db    31.0 db
Noise Margin    5.5 db    21.0 db
Equipment pretty much the same apart from the faceplate and shielded cable to the router,looks like i`ve had some deterioration in my line quality since `Feb `09.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi anything but,
Your current sync rate of 4832 will give you a profile of 4000, as would have your sync rate of 5024 that you quoted in your last post. As it's 3500 at the moment it can take a while (about 72 hours) with a constant connection for it to rise.
Jojo Smiley
anytbut
Grafter

Yes,i understand that....What i`m trying to find out is the reason my sync speed is lower than almost everyone near to my home,thats why i dug up my old stats just to compare.
Like was said,someone just 15 seconds from my front door has a downstream attenuation (25db) that puts him exactly at 1.8km from the exchange (just like i am) but my attenuation (50db) has me at 3.6kms.
Now i dont live 1.8kms away from him and to have my line (if this is the case) take a route that is double the distance is just a bit puzzling.