Estimated line speed:
    4.0Mb (This may vary between 3Mb and 7Mb) - Checked on 2011-08-26 23:04:49
Current line speed:
    3.5 Mb <----lower due to a power outage,usually stable on 4.0mb

ADSL Link                 Downstream     Upstream
Connection Speed 4576 kbps        448 kbps
Line Attenuation              50.0 db           31.5 db
Noise Margin                5.9 db           21.0 db
Now the question i have is just 10 doors down from me,the neighbour has a sync speed of just over 7000kbps.
Looking at my stats do you think there`s room for improvement/problem?
Last time i had a BT engineer out (line dropping in severe weather,was fixed) i`m sure he mentioned there`s two cabs between me and the exchange,so if thats the case is there anyway i could be put onto the other cab (doubt this but hell,i`ll ask!) .
74 REPLIES 74
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Question about my line stats.

Given your attenuation - not much improvement if any is posssible
anytbut
Grafter

Yea,what i thought...just annoying that just 10 doors down he`s nearly at full wack and i`m lower. Cheesy
Is it strange to have 2 cabs between me and the exchange?
Force9Original
Grafter

If your line is reasonably stable you could tweak the SNR down to 3db which should up your speed to near 7mb  Wink
Netgear routers with the broadcom chipset  ( dg 834 gt or v4's) are handy for manual sync settings.
Cheers f9o
JamesM
Grafter

I am in the same boat, my Sister lives 3 doors away from me, both lines come from the same telegraph pole yet my Sister syncs at around 15000+ and I struggle to get above 10000.
anytbut
Grafter

Quote from: Force9Original
If your line is reasonably stable you could tweak the SNR down to 3db which should up your speed to near 7mb  Wink

Tried already Tongue
Just like to know how comes there`s 2 cabs between me and the exchange,i`m sure this is why i`m synced lower than down the road,maybe i can bribe the local oiks to "move" my one,lol
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

It could be one of two scenarios really, cabinets do serve a limited number of connections so it may well be that you are on a different cab to the person down the street. Otherwise when new cabs are installed sometimes old ones are not decommissioned straight away.
Also without knowing what your street is like 10 doors down can on some streets be a fair old distance, could it not be that they are much closer to the exchange?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
anytbut
Grafter

10 terraced houses down,just out of his wifi range Cheesy
And if anything i`m closer to the exchange than him,but there`s really nothing in it.
Acording to samknows ....
Distance:- Direct:     1.67 km
  (appx)* By Road: 1.77 km
My downstream attenuation is 50db,giving my line length as 3.6km
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'm getting attenuation of 49dB on my line test. Maybe pop it in the test socket and we can see if it makes any difference.
anytbut
Grafter

At work currently, but I'm using a filtered faceplate and a shielded cable to the router. I'll try a splitter into the test socket when I get home.
anytbut
Grafter

Just thought, I have a telephone splitter plugged into the filtered faceplate,my phone plugs into that and the wiring from it runs into the front room where the sky+ box is plugged into it...would I need a filter on that?  Only recently had sky+ installed tho but the splitter and wiring has been there for a while.
anytbut
Grafter

Well,tried a normal filter inplace of the faceplate,no difference.
Did try a old DG834 i have and got these stats compared to the GT...
As you see i have 2db less downstream attenuation,but 15db less upstream!
Also,on nosing around behind the socket i saw these two things...(dodgy quality pic).
I`m guessing as the wire from the outside are quite short,they`re just there to extend the wires?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Not the best looking wiring there. I'm not sure if anyone else can shed any light on it Smiley
anytbut
Grafter

The 2 wires coming down are from outside,the ones coming off from the left are going into the back of the filtered faceplate.
Like i said the outside wires are quite short and i dont think i`d have enough length be able to conect them to the rear of the faceplate without being extended like they are.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Any chance of a clearer picture, I'm not quite sure what you mean. The only wires connected to the faceplate should be wires going into an extension. wires to the main socket would normally not be seen as the connection to the faceplate is built in and only becomes active when plugged into the test socket.
Jojo Smiley