Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about how we get allocated an IP address

Dom
Grafter

Question about how we get allocated an IP address

Hi all,
It's been a while since I last posted, so apologies for that, but I've a question about the IP address that we get allocated.
I, like most of us, get given a dynamic IP address whenever the router is powered up or restarted. As I've not paid the extra fiver for a static IP address, the IP address I get given changes each time I connect as you'd expect, although I've noticed that the IP address usually starts with the same couple of octets, for example 87.114.x.x or 87.115.x.x.
(I'm guessing that Plusnet has a pool of IP addresses that get randomly assigned to users as and when they need one.)
But I've noticed that whenever I restart my router (which isn't often) the IP address that I get given is often completely different, and doesn't start with 87.114.x.x or 87.115.x.x. For example, I restarted my router a couple of days ago and my IP address right now is 46.208.x.x.
But whenever this happens, after two or three days my internet connection gets reset and I get assigned a "normal" Plusnet IP address starting with "87.114" or "87.115". While it wouldn't bother most people, it annoys me because I'm often connected to something at the time (website, IRC chatroom, etc*) and I get disconnected from the net while the router acquires its new IP address. It also means that the line speed shown in the router stats drops (as is normal I think).
So I'm wondering, why do we get allocated a random IP address upon soft-rebooting our routers, only to have it disconnect and then reconnect with a "proper" Plusnet IP address a few days later?

* Truth be told, I'm usually taking part in an IRC "idle RPG" game that involves idling in an IRC channel for as long as possible (without being disconnected!) in order to level up. It's a bit nerdy, I know, but it's the reason I'm starting this thread!
7 REPLIES 7
Apprentice
Grafter

Re: Question about how we get allocated an IP address

Maybe a good idea for a MOD to delete/disguise the OP's current IP address???
and my IP address right now is 4*.*08.***.***
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Dynamic IPs do get allocated from a pool containing a number of ranges. 87.11x.x.x is one of the larger ranges, 46.208.x.x a medium sized one, and there are others, including some smaller ones.
I can't think of any reason why IPs from a particular range should be more prone to disconnection than IPs from other ranges.
David
Dom
Grafter

Quote from: Apprentice
Maybe a good idea for a MOD to delete/disguise the OP's current IP address???
and my IP address right now is 4*.*08.***.***

Already done, thanks. Not that I expected anything to come of it though, hehe.
Quote from: spraxyt
I can't think of any reason why IPs from a particular range should be more prone to disconnection than IPs from other ranges.

No I wondered why as well, but it's nearly always the case. I thought maybe some of the pools were for temporary use or something, but if they're all legit and being used in the normal course of events, I wonder why I tend to be disconnected more often when given an address from one particular pool rather than another.
EDIT: I just saw this on Twitter - http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1331725037.htm - Looks like they're adding another pool of addresses. I wonder how these will fair in terms of the issue I sometimes see with disconnections.
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

I would be looking at the gateway your router is connecting too rahter than been worried about the IP address you have been allocated, unless the IP address is associated to a gateway.
http://usertools.plus.net/@gateway/
This identifys the gateway you are connected too.
Dan.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: Dom
EDIT: I just saw this on Twitter - http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1331725037.htm - Looks like they're adding another pool of addresses. I wonder how these will fair in terms of the issue I sometimes see with disconnections.

It will not make any difference whatsoever to disconnections but there are often issues when new ranges are added where certain facilities are locked out because the range hasn't been added to some table or other. Using FTP to the cgi servers is one that is sometimes missed, the gateway checker is another.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Quote from: jelv
… the gateway checker is another.

The new range was added to the gateway checker list around lunchtime today.
David
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Excellent!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)