cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about Unlimited/Premium product

bigboso
Dabbler

Question about Unlimited/Premium product

On Wednesday, I signed up for Plusnet's Unlimited Broadband, however, a couple of days later, I see this product is no longer available, and has been replaced with premium broadband.
I work from home, so my main concern during the day is the VPN connection speed, however, in the evenings, I play games online (PS3), and use Bit-torrent as well. I was attracted to Plusnet as I schedule most of my Bit-torrent downloading to after midnight. However, I can see the the premium broadband has better VPN speeds during the day, so right now I am torn as to whether it would be a better product for me.
As my line has not yet been activated, I was wondering whether Premium would serve my needs better, although I'm not sure how much working from home will use out of my download limits.
Initially, I actually considered the Business Broadband Option 3, and right now, from reading the forums and seeing complaints about traffic shapping, I'm wondering if I should go for that instead.
A bit of a babble, I'll admit, but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions, based on their experience with the unlimited or business products (I'd be surprised if anyone had any knowledge of the premium product!).
Thanks in advance.
15 REPLIES 15
scootie
Grafter

Re: Question about Unlimited/Premium product

in theroy you could try each for a month and see which suits you best.
xpcomputers
Grafter

Except that once you leave Unlimited you wouldn't be able to get it back.
I think the problem with Business Products is that P2P is throttled and even HD iPlayer isn't possible (if I remember correctly). This might be fine for you, but equally it might not!
80GB is a lot of data! (especially if timing all large downloads between midnight and 8am!). The traffic profiles will also allow faster data compared to Unlimited.
Do you work from home EVERY day? Do you spend the WHOLE day connected to a VPN? What sort of usage will you make of said VPN?
Are you in a ADSL2+ area? Are you far from your exchange? If you are close, and are currently served by ADSL2+, you might find it highly beneficial to opt for Premium, as you'll potentially get a much higher download (& if you request it higher UPLOAD speed too). I figure this will help the "snappiness" & usability of your VPN connection no end! Unlimited isn't currently earmarked to get ADSL2+ access at all.
If you are really concerned that you might burst the 80GB, then stick with Unlimited for the first month, and track your usage using the broadband usage stats in the control panel. If you think 80Gb will suffice, you could then migrate to Premium in your second month.
It'd also be worth asking for a month or two "trial" of Premium, and asking Plusnet if they can keep a downgrade right to Unlimited available as a option if it doesn't work out....
Normally you can't go back to a "legacy package" once you move to a new package, but if you ask up front, they might be able to make an exception (so you can revert, if in a couple of months in you find you need the extra data)! No harm in asking anyway....
If money isn't the primary problem, then you could always burst your 80GB and top it up (@ £2 per 2GB) on months where you needed more data. Clearly it adds up quickly, but it could allow you a touch more room on occasional heavy months!
If you provide more info in response to the questions, you might get more specific help from someone....
Mike
bigboso
Dabbler

Thanks for the replies.
I work from home EVERYDAY (well, from last week!). I'm connected to the VPN from around 8am to 6pm on most days, on some days, I connect in the evenings as well. Every now and then, I have to download stuff from the company intranet, but most of the time, it's mainly email, instant messaging, browsing on the intranet, hosting livemeeting(s) and webex online meeting(s), using VOip, I could go on, but it's pretty constant !!
I'm not in an ADSL2+ area unfortunately.
If P2P is throttled on the business products, and if the HD iplayer doesn't work properly in the evenings, that would be a concern, but in the end, the most important thing I need is a good VPN connection.
pcoventry
Grafter

Hi Bigboso,
We replaced the Unlimited package overnight on the 22nd. However any accounts scheduled to go to unlimited until this date will be honoured.
The Premium package gives line speed from Midnight to 6pm so this would be idea for you. After 6PM it's restricted to 2MB until Midnight. On our network gaming is line speed at all times with traffic at the top level.
The speeds for P2P do vary throughout the day. This link will give you the exact times and speeds for the product.
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/quality_broadband/speed.shtml#premiumspeeds
Free usage from midnight to 8am still remains and on the ADSL Max network we have plenty of capacity for this.
bigboso
Dabbler

Thanks for your reply Pete.
My main concern is that I will go over the 80 GB limit, as I have no idea how much the VPN eats into my usage.
My question now is, since it's a new order, can I be set up with Premium from day one ?
Or do I need to wait until my line is activated, and then ask to be regraded?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi bigboso,
It wouldn't be an issue to change the account as soon as it's activated, raising a ticket is probably the best bet though I'll check for you to make sure it goes through. If you raise us a ticket at http://contactus.plus.net we can sort it out for you.
As regards the order, it depends what service you're on now (I suspect adsl max) and if your exchange is enabled. I'll check on this for you in the morning and post back but I suspect we'll need to regrade you once the line's active.
xpcomputers
Grafter

Orbrey,
He's already said he's not in ADSL2+ area, so it will be on ADSL Max either way....
Is there a way he can keep the right to revert to the unlimited package if it doesn't work out for him on Premium? This would take away the worry of having to decide now without having to commit to either. He could try Premium, and if it doesn't work out, can go back to Unlimited. I know the old packages can't normally be chosen after they become legacy packages (stop being sold), but since he has already signed up with it, can you keep the option to revert on his account?
Thanks
Mike
James
Grafter

That sounds like a perfectly reasonable suggestion.
We can move him back if he's not happy with Premium within the first month.
xpcomputers
Grafter

James,
he'd probably need longer than one month to decide, since he will only know at the end of the first month what his month's usage has been.... and be able to predict future month's based on this (and be bale to make an informed decision without rushing it)... I'm sure this wouldn't be a problem either for Plusnet, but you mentioned "within first month", so I thought it worth clarifying!
Of course, if he runs out half way through month, then that might indicate that he need unlimited and in which case he might jump back early....
Mike
Mand
Grafter

I'm sure we can sort this out if needs be. Smiley
bigboso
Dabbler

I've been activated today ( A day earlier than expected, YEAH !!)
I wanted to regrade to premium, but it appears I will lose my introductory £11.99 a month  Embarrassed
Should I raise a ticket to get regraded and keep the introductory subscription? And also the option to switch back to unlimited if I find that the limit is not enough?
thanks.
James
Grafter

Hi,
I've just moved your account over to Premium and re-added your initial discount.
As previously mentioned, if you don't find Premium to work for you, let us know and we can move you back to Unlimited.
bigboso
Dabbler

Thank you !!  Smiley
Smiley
xpcomputers
Grafter

That's good service! Thanks James (& Mand, Orbrey, Pete and Asbo).
Mike