Grafter

Re: Question Thread

Hi James,
Thanks for your reassurance.
I should have read the thread fully,

techguy
Grafter

Can a upper threshold be set on a 2+ connection so that it does not attempt to go any higher 1.4 Mbps for example as it seems to be that my line goes nuts if the BT machinery tries to force more data down and 1.4 is quite acceptable to me.
James
Grafter

I really wouldn't have thought so.
Bear in mind that the DLM is far more "intelligent" than it is on IPSM, so whilst there might be a small period of instability, the long run should see the best speed calculated for your line.
techguy
Grafter

Hope so.
Any kind of advice on what activities to use the connection for/avoid during the training process so thhat the MSR is as high as possible.
For example, would it be a good idea to use a lot of streaming during that time so that the data rate is fairly stable?
James
Grafter

Mitch,
It's nothing to do with what you're doing with the internet connection.  It's down to the connection synchronisdation and noise margin more than what you do with it.
ctech500
Grafter

I was wondering if any on-line gamers were on the trail and if so whether they had their interleaving on or off.
I can't be sure but mine is on well at least my router informs me that interleave depth is 64 DS and
My router is very stable my noise margin is an average 6.8db and my attenuation is 40
interleaving was switched off when I was on 20CN with little or no problems....any thoughts or advice
techguy
Grafter

Just thought I'd ask as wondered if it monitored actual throughput too.
James
Grafter

Nope.  Definitely not.
ctech500
Grafter

Hi everyone
As we know people with long lines will suffer signal loss which means higher attenuation hence lower connection rates and speed.
I have looked at various router stats and have discovered that the power of the signal is higher for those with a lower attenuation and in most cases 0.0Dbm for those with high attenuation.
I'm not sure if this is the power pumped out by the DSLAM or the power received by the router.
I realise that increasing the power of the ADSL signal might cause interference on neighbouring lines but increasing the power slightly say 5 db surely wouldn't do any harm. (just a thought)
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

5dBm represents a factor of more than 3 so is not "slight". I think the maximum power possible is around 19dBm, so I assume the power for anyone at that level already can't be increased (the 0.0 points you mentioned?).
On the other hand for those below the maximum the power can be increased a little, which presumably goes into raising signal content to higher frequencies - which translates into better sync speeds.
David
gm4jjj
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Is the Current Line Speed shown on the Member Centre applicable with 21CN?
I ask because mine is showing at 3500 and recently download speeds tests appear to be clamped below 3000 (typically 2800) even though sync is 4384 with interleaving. I have tried at all times of day and evening with no difference.
ctech500
Grafter

@gm4jjj
I think profiling on 21CN has to be set manually
BT speed test will indicate the current profile
gm4jjj
Rising Star

I have never been able to get BT speed test to work since 21CN Undecided
James
Grafter

Hi gm4jjj,
Have you tried in both Internet Explorer and Firefox?
If you can't, let me know and I'll see what I can do.
gm4jjj
Rising Star

I had only tried Safari, but just tried Firefox and still get: " The system is currently busy. Please try again shortly, however if this problem persists, raise the issue with your service provider. "