cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question #77617981

cbb
Dabbler

Question #77617981

I have an ongoing problem where my fibre broadband suffers intermittent disconnections when it rains. One of your support staff replied to my ticket and tried to phone me yesterday afternoon but unfortunately I was away from home yesterday. He suggested I get back in touch when I next have the problem and he could get a fibre engineer out the next day. So what is the quickest way of contacting you, should I just phone the support line, I was trying to avoid that due the the waiting time, but if I reply to the ticket it seems to take several days to get a response. He seemed to imply in the message he left I could reply to the text message he left but I may have misunderstood that.
Also, what happens if an engineer comes the next day and it has stopped raining and all is fine again. Does the fault actually have to be experienced by someone apart from me before you can do anything. I think I know where the problem is, at the top of the pole feeding my house. That is the only exposed point between me and the cabinet. Can you not get someone to go up the pole and have a look or is that not possible without a comfirmed fault.
7 REPLIES 7
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Question #77617981

If an engineer visit is booked (and I think that'd be the best bet) we can request that the pole is investigated, plus also you could have a conversation with him yourself to advise of what you've found - is there any way you could get a photo of the area perhaps? May be a daft question, sorry.
I've just asked Luke (the agent looking after your fault) about this and will be back with an update as soon as I've been able to talk to him.
cbb
Dabbler

I can take a photo of the pole if you like, if that's what you mean. Too dark now but I can do it tomorrow.. There are two block terminals at the top which have probably been there over thirty years and I doubt if there are any other joints between the pole and the cabinet.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

That may help, the trouble is if the engineer runs a line test and it's fine he's under no obligation to investigate any further which is why Luke has said what he did. You might be lucky of course, and get one who understands about the weather effects and is willing to go up the pole and take a look - but we couldn't guarantee anything 😕
cbb
Dabbler

If that's the case then it could take months or never be found. As it's intermittent it seems unlikely that the fault will occur at the exact time the engineer is here. I'll take a photo tomorrow anyway.
cbb
Dabbler

I've attached a photo of the top of the pole (DP1093). As you can see one of the block terminals has a cable strap round it, presumably to keep the cover on, which doesn't look too promising.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi cbb,
I've had another chat with Luke and he'll have a word with his team leader - we'll see what's best to take this on further for you and be back with an update this afternoon.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I was going to suggest a bit of target practice with one of these shortly before the engineer was due, but looking at the state of that pole you'd probably be pretty unpopular with the neighbours!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)