Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question #34324366 whats going on

defiant
Grafter

Question #34324366 whats going on

Question #34324366
Can someone please tell me whats taking so long. I've called a few times regarding the banded profile and no one can give me a real answer. When i opened the fault the speed had gone down from around 3.5mb to 1152k. The line and connection have been fixed now but  the adsl speed is now sitting at 576k with 448k upload.  Can someone please look into this and get my line speed back up.

thanks defiant
Wednesday 1 Sep 2010
Dear Mr defiant,
As per our phone conversation earlier, the connection seems to have re-stabilised following the cable repairs that have been carried out. However it appears that your connection has had a banded profile applied to it which is restricting the connection speed between 288kbps and 576kbps. This should have been removed automatically when the connection had remained up for over 72 hours (as it did since then).
I will now broach this on a phone call with our suppliers and will keep you updated as to how this goes.
Kind regards,
Plus.net
18 REPLIES 18
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Question #34324366 whats going on

HI defiant,
I am looking into this for you and will update you just as soon as I know more.
Jojo Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Defiant,
Right, what we've done is move you to our no DLM trial. This will take place in about an hour and will remove the banding on your line. Your sync rate will increase and you will notice the effects on your throughput within about 24 hours. So, hopefully you will see a much more improved performance.
Jojo Smiley
defiant
Grafter

thanks alot joanne. i will post later when the line has gone up  Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

No worries, I'd be interested to know how you get on with it.
Jojo Smiley
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Joanne
our no DLM trial.

There's a No DLM trial?
Where do i sign???
Edit: typo
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Brian,
firstly, you have a good profile and wouldn't be considered for this reason. It is a closed trial and is offered to customers at the moment as a last option when either the digital care or faults team, after lots of testing deem that the line would benefit from it....but thanks for asking Wink
Jojo Smiley
defiant
Grafter

Thanks Joanne the speed is finally improving. I have included a picture of last nights sync speeds and todays.  It seems the snr on the upstream has shot up to 18db again could you have the upstream banding removed or even better the snr locked at 6db as the upstream never causes any issues. One last thought is the line training or does the lack of banding mean it just syncs as fast as possible? I can see the lines retrained a few times but i cant really see anymore detail than that as the plus.net router doesnt keep logs.
2528/864 was yestardays sync and 3168/448 is todays

Cheers Defiant
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Defiant,
We can request for the upstream to be lifted and the snr to be fixed but unless you are uploading and specifically need more on the upstream then I wouldn't do it because it will decrease your downstream rate.
Jojo Smiley
defiant
Grafter

xbox360 runs alot better online with the faster upstream. The upstream stream is on seperate tones from the downstream i didnt find it made any difference to my downstream sync speed in the past.  Could you have that lifted for me?

Thanks Defiant
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi defiant,
we can set the upstream to 6db and upcap it and have 6db dow. Do you want interleaving on or off?
Jojo Smiley
defiant
Grafter

Joanne thank you for the fast reply, Im thinking 6db down would disconnect frequently. Fastpath would be great but this telephone line does not agree with it anymore. Could you set a 9db margin downstream a 6db margin upstream with interleaving on and if possible limit the modulation to adsl1.  Smiley I'm happy for you to adjust that the best you can.

Cheers Defiant

jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi defiant,
I'll request that to be done for you.
Jojo Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi defiant,
All of your requirements have been set including uncapping the upstream, but we were not able to remove it from the ADSL2+ but this should not make any difference to your connection.
Jojo Smiley
grahamt
Rising Star

The 'No DLM Trial' sounds a lot like the trial Dave ran back in February, when triallists could request a 'fixed profile' (not to be confused with the IP profile). So, for instance, I ended up with a fixed 6dB margin both ways and interleaving off. Almost everyone on the trial liked the fixed profile and chose to keep it after the trial ended. I think I remember Dave saying something about making it possible for more people to go on something like this in September, with a second stage (providing a small measure of user configurability) coming some months later. So maybe that's what's happening now.
Being on a fixed profile doesn't necessarily mean there's no variation in sync speed. My line gets much noisier at night, so if a resync happens during the night the sync comes back at a lower speed. This happened last night. For the past month my line had been continuously up at sync speeds of 8056 / 808 (my downstream attenuation is 39, my wiring is OK but not ideal, so this is about right). Last night at around 3am there was a resync and the line came back at something like 7231 / 800. When I noticed this morning I forced another resync and I'm now running at 8279 / 800. (From experience, I know this is a bit too fast to last another month).
Unfortunately, when the speed dropped overnight, so did my BT IP profile, now down from 7000 to 6000. It will now take several days to come back up again, assuming my sync speed doesn't drop again in the meantime. I'm really happy to be on the 'no DLM' fixed profile, but I'd be even happier if the IP profile could track my sync speed a bit faster when it goes up.
Graham