Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question #178772021 - Slow broadband

matthewgdavies1
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Question #178772021 - Slow broadband

I seem to be stuck in a nightmare loop with Plusnet / Openreach.

I used to get a speed of about 2Mbps - slow but workable, reported noise on the line which was causing the broadband to drop out when the phone line was used. The noise was cleared by Openreach on 29 June but afterwards the BB speed dropped to around 0.2Mbps. Repeated engineer visits have failed to improve matters. What has been discovered is an anomaly in my line routing. My line is (supposedly) connected to Dringhouses cabinet 10 some 4.3km away and the DSL address checker confirms this. The last two engineers have been unable to find my line in cabinet 10 and it is in fact connected to cabinet 25 which is a newly activated fibre cabinet some 200m from my home. It was originally (allegedly) planned to migrate the lines where I (and 40 of my neighbours) live to cabinet 25 but this was deemed "not possible for technical planning reasons". Despite being "not possible for technical planning reasons" it seems in reality that the lines have actually been migrated in error - the DSL telephone number checker confirms that I am connected to cabinet 25. Both recent engineers confirm that there is no physical reason why I (and all my neighbours) could not have fibre service tomorrow except for the fact that the exchange is not configured correctly owing to an installation error by Openreach or their contractors. Both engineers stated that Openreach need to send out a senior engineer to check all connections in cabinet 25 and correct or update the exchange records. Presently I'm completely stuck. Typically Plusnet are still helping themselves to my money for a service they are not providing and to my constant annoyance continually threaten me with £65 charges every time yet another engineer tries and fails to sort the problem..

6 REPLIES 6
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Re: Question #178772021 - Slow broadband

Hi Matthew,

Thanks for getting in touch regarding the ongoing issues with your speed.

I can see that an engineer attended yesterday but the speed of your line remains unchanged. As such, I have escalated this with our suppliers and updated your open fault ticket here accordingly.

As soon as we get a response to the escalation we'll provide the details via that ticket.

**EDIT**

I've also raised a query with our suppliers to investigate the mismatch in terms of fibre availability in your area - when this comes back I'll ensure you're updated.

Thanks for your patience whilst we investigate this with our suppliers.

Best wishes,

Dave

matthewgdavies1
Dabbler

Well CSC posted this update this morning: The nightmare continues!

"I tried to call you today but there was no answer.

As per my message, our suppliers have confirmed the fault has now been resolved and I called today to confirm this with you, if you are still experiencing problems please reply to this email"

If the fault has now been resolved why is my speed still on average below the guaranteed minimum of 0.5Mbps and why is nobody able to explain why my speed dropped to between 10 and 20% of the speed I was receiving prior to an engineer clearing noise on the line at the end of June.

Ndegwa
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Hi Matthew, I have updated the fault ticket so that we can look at further investigations. You can find the ticket here.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lee Y
 Plusnet Help Team
matthewgdavies1
Dabbler

"Thanks for getting in touch regarding the ongoing issues with your speed.

I can see that an engineer attended yesterday but the speed of your line remains unchanged. As such, I have escalated this with our suppliers and updated your open fault ticket here accordingly.

As soon as we get a response to the escalation we'll provide the details via that ticket.

**EDIT**

I've also raised a query with our suppliers to investigate the mismatch in terms of fibre availability in your area - when this comes back I'll ensure you're updated.

Thanks for your patience whilst we investigate this with our suppliers.

Best wishes,"

Disappointing that Plusnet now want to close this question unresolved despite the fact that the "escalations team senior engineer" sent was exactly the same ordinary engineer they sent the previous time. There also appears to be no response from Plusnet's "supplier" regarding "the mismatch in terms of fibre availability in your area"

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi there.

I'm sorry to see we didn't come back to you with a response from the Openreach fibre availability team which I can see we received on the 19th August.

"Thank you for your fibre enquiry. I have found a discrepancy with our records concerning this address. As such I have requested a Pair prove to confirm the lines routing.
This will take a week to complete and once we have the result we will be able to check for fibre availability."

As it's clearly been longer than a week I've escalated this for an update and I'll let you know when we hear back.

With regards to your existing broadband service, there may not be much we can do for you short of sending out another engineer. When we arrange engineers, we don't have the option to choose the type of broadband engineer. Our suppliers BTwholesale can make a request but ultimately it'd be down to Openreach to allocate one with the right skilset out.

I've requested the escalation we've got with wholesale to be looked at team manager level and I'll update you when we hear back.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi @matthewgdavies1

Good news, I've been advised that the issues surrounding records fibre availability at your address have been resolved so we're essentially now in a position to place a fibre order. If you would like to go ahead I'd recommend calling us on 0800 013 2632.

I've asked our suppliers again for a response regarding your existing broadband service and I'll let you know when we hear back.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet