cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question #137495545 SNR and Sync

ONeill1
Grafter

Question #137495545 SNR and Sync

1.  let me say when you are going to ring somebody back make sure you do please it's annoying waiting for some one when they don't ring back.

2. I try and keep it simple, had a line fault last week, which was fixed on Tuesday night, my SNR was still fixed at 12dB, so phoned wednesday for it to be set back to 6dB and all was fine until friday night/saturday morning when it went back upto 9dB, phoned support who done tests and said all was fine and no errors.

So if there are no errors and line is fine why is it not sitting at 6dB and giving me a higher sync

3. Why on the tests he done does it show vpi vci has 0 when my router settings are 0/38

4. See attached graph, looks like I have a line/broadband fault again or just plain REIN/SHINE again which is giving me another headache again for slower speed when I know I can snyc at 4000 kbps

31 REPLIES 31
ONeill1
Grafter

Re: Question #137495545 SNR and Sync

Bump for some help and answers please Cry

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi there,

If your line has switched back to a 9db target, this is what the DLM is deeming the best for your line to ensure stability, this does not mean there is a fault as the SNR is designed to change based on line conditions and some lines have an SNR margin of 15db (or more).

The VPI/VCI in the results pasted on the ticket are nothing to be concerned about, that's what they always show.

Upstream DSL Link Information Downstream DSL Link Information
Loop Loss: 35.8 52.6
SNR Margin: 5.7 8.6
Errored Seconds: 2 0
HEC Errors: 0  
Cell Count: 16930 289858
Speed: 956 2525

Maximum Stable Rate (KBPS): 2016 Fault Threshold Rate (KBPS): 1612
Mean Time Between Retrains (Seconds): 21544 Mean Time Between Errors Upstream (Seconds): 552
Indicative Line Quality: G Mean Time Between Errors Downstream (Seconds): 276

Your line is connecting above the fault threshold rate, meaning that if we did pass this through to our suppliers it would highly likely be rejected as the line is performing as expected and within the estimates too:

ADSL Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

Left in Jumper

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 2.5 -- 1 to 4 Available -- --

I'm not sure if you're aware but FTTC is available to you now:

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

WBC FTTC Availability Date

WBC SOGEA Availability Date

Left in Jumper

High Low High Low        
VDSL Range A (Clean) 47 35 9 6.2 -- Available -- --

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
ONeill1
Grafter

So either my line is faulty or there is a REIN/SHINE issue, see graph again, you can see when the noise/fault is off I would get a higher sync and if it was cured I would go back to 6dB target with higher sync.

Can you not either send a BT engineer out for noisy line/REIN issue or set the target to 6dB with error correction off in which to force it to keep it at 6dB

Because I love being on a lower sync with this sort of problem when BT and the PN CS person not hellping when I know I can get a better line/sync oh and the best for my line would be 6db with this problem sorted, used to sync at 4400 kbps with O2 and it was like it for years, now you tell me that I can get it any more Cry

Ps edit

I would have FIBRE when you can give it to me at the broadband and phone package price and not the stand alone price, and if the problem is REIN/SHINE then fibre would still be affected.

ONeill1
Grafter

So what about the graphs I've posted above and below then, does that not look like a problem to you, it does to me hence why I think my SNR is higher and the lower speed/sync then it used to.

2016Nov11-1429-Rx_Noise_margin_(dB).jpg2016Nov09-1923-Rx_Noise_margin_(dB).jpg2016Nov07-1633-Rx_Noise_margin_(dB).jpg2016Oct27-1937-Rx_Noise_margin_(dB).jpg

Just to prove it heres one of my line on how it should be notice the higher sync and 6dB SNR

Rx_Noise_margin_(dB)-2014Mar14-1716.jpg

Oh and I have alot more of these aswell Cry

ONeill1
Grafter

After updating my question last week and attaching a graph, plusnet support person rang up after doing more line tests and could see my problem in his tests with the spiking SNR and has agreed to send a BT engineer to get to the bottom of it, because he could not be sure if it was a line fault or a REIN issue.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

It would be interesting if it's a REIN issue.

Let us know how you get on.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
ONeill1
Grafter

Will do, some one in the BT forum has a similar problem with it doing it at least 16 times and hour and yet no answers or help for him.

ONeill1
Grafter

BT engineer came and gone, he done all his tests that he could and says that the line is ok and can't see and problems with it Sad

He did move his van around outside to try and find REIN and says it got worse when he parked next to the street light outside the front and could be a possible cause but can't tell as he has not got a portable radio to try and locate the source. Cry

Edit

On a slightly different note I tryed my portable DAB radio today after a brain fart and I am hearing interference in the background and when you retune it to, but freeview tv is fine, seems after reading around that the LED or the transformer could be the cause as these are the new LED street lights which are controlled by county hall to go off at midnight.

ONeill1
Grafter

Why am I not surprised that the dozy BT engineer failed to test the line probably and just relied upon his machine to find the problem, can't even test the line at the pole or the cabinet to see if there is a problem there.

He is blaming BT for FAILING to give him a portable radio so he can find and diagnose a REIN problem, looks like I have to phone/update my question again just to get another BT engineer who might or might not understand what a REIN problem is and the other battle is trying to get them to report it to BT as a REIN problem just so I can get a REIN engineer out grrrrr Crazy2 Knuppel

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Perhaps you should have a read of:

https://www.btwholesale.com/assets/documents/Orders_and_Faults/REIN_Introduction_for_CPs_v2.0.pdf

Openreach aren't responsible for all the possible sources of REIN, they do REIN investigations as a sort-of goodwill gesture, and even if they identify the source of the REIN, they can't compel the owner of the equipment to do something about it.

You could also have a search for the source yourself if you can obtain a portable AM radio.

FTTC may well be substantially less affected, because it uses a much wider frequency range. Even if the source of interference is emitting noise over a wide frequency range, higher frequencies have shorter range, so the range of the interference on the higher frequencies will be less.

This was a long REIN thread, ending with a switch to FTTC, which solved the problem.

ONeill1
Grafter

Sorry EJS but I don't won't to get into an argument with you so I am going to ignore you.

Just had 2 disconnects in about 48 hours first one was on wednesday and the second one was at Friday (today) at 19:14 hours both times it was off for a couple of minutes and both times the phone line went dead, no tone on it as well as the adsl went down.

I know it won't be plusnet or BT at this time of night which points to a line fault, unless some one is running a line test on it which also causes it to happen but can't see that happening at this time of night Roll_eyes Ticked_off

ejs
Aspiring Hero

The faults team sometimes work in the evenings, so both of those could well have been someone running a line test.

ONeill1
Grafter

My next BT engineer is for the 28th, not had any emails or phone calls about any work for my line so hence I thought a line fault but it did seem at first a line test.

On another note since I've moved across to the new network I've noticed that I am not moving from the gateway and that my IP address is not changing when these disconnects keep happening. Shocked

ejs
Aspiring Hero

The behaviour of your IP address and gateway is normal for the new network. Your IP address may change, but it will be in the same range or from certain ranges, which are specific to your part of the new network, which depends on geographic location. If you reconnect quickly, you may well get the same IP address.