cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Query unknown user on Technicolor TG582n FTTC router

Belfast128

Query unknown user on Technicolor TG582n FTTC router

I am a new Plusnet user with fibre broadband. When I first set up my Technicolor TG582n router, I recall seeing only one 'user' on the User Management page, namely - Username: admin / Privileges : Administrator / Default user: Yes.
Later, I noticed a second 'user', namely - Username: Diagnostics / Privileges: Intercept / Default User: Yes (this has replaced admin as the default user).
I have queried this with Plusnet who advised they do not support advanced features of the router but suggested a factory re-set. I carried out a factory re-set but the second 'user' still appears. All of the pictures of the User Management page that I have seen show only the one 'user' - admin.
Does anyone know if this second 'user' is normal, please, or should I delete it?
5 REPLIES 5
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Query unknown user on Technicolor TG582n FTTC router

I have a TG582n adsl and there isn't a second user so perhaps it has something to do with it being a fibre router
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
I believe that user's included in the firmware by the manufacturers, but you should be fine to remove it if you wish - if that does lead to any issues then factory resetting the router will restore everything Smiley You won't get anyone logging in with that username though, but if you're concerned you can change the password for that user which would be another way of doing the same thing.
Hope that helps.
KevinA
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

From memory sometime ago it was mention the Username: Diagnostics is the username the router uses for the landing page on newer firmwares..
Belfast128

My sincere thanks to everyone who took the time and trouble to respond to my query. On balance, it seems the second 'user' is harmless and probably beneficial. My inclination is to leave it unless anyone else knows differently?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

You'll be perfectly fine to leave it if you wish Smiley